Google
 

May 17, 2009

Palak ki Sabzi



I need a bigger fridge. And I definitely need a bigger freezer. I seem to make double batches of just about everything so that I can save time another day. I seem to chop, grate, puree and pressure cook wholesale. I don’t cook and freeze full meals. I like to eat fresh meals but I’m not against freezing entire meals. It’s just that my freezer is already bursting at its seams and I feel sorry for it at times.

But there are some things that I cannot bring myself to do on a regular basis. Like clean spinach. That is something I do in bulk. And then dishing out something like this to eat with chapattis is not tough at all. In fact, I cook and puree the spinach before freezing it.


1 bunch Spinach, cooked and pureed
1 Onion, ground to a fine paste
2 tbsp Tomato Puree
1 tsp Green Chilli Paste
1 tsp Ginger Paste
1 tsp Garlic Paste
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/4 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Oil
Salt to taste

Heat the oil and fry the onion paste for a few minutes. Add the ginger, chilli and garlic pastes and fry for a minute. Add the tomato puree, salt, chilli and turmeric powder and fry for a couple of minutes before adding the spinach puree. Bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer for 4-5 minutes.


At one point, I'd eaten this with rice too. But it tastes best with chapattis and bread. Let me know how you like it.

6 comments:

luckysanjana said...

A little paneer in that paalak and I would have happily stayed and done the dishes.

Gita Jaishankar said...

Storing pureed spinach seems a good idea...I should also do that...I used to make this curry to go with rice, I must try it with rotis soon :)

Sig said...

LOL, I hear ya, hate cleaning spinach, I hate it so much that I do just enough for each dish and procrastinate. :)

Shah cooks said...

love anything to do with palak and sarson. i make it in large qtys and go thru it in 4-5 days. detoxifying the body!

Unknown said...

Hi Raaga,

How do you freeze the puree and other indian food? In ziplocs? hot or cold?

Thanks

Raaga said...

Hi A,

I use plastic boxes (microwave safe) and freeze them as soon as I can... often, the stuff is hot when it enters the freezer, but I try not to put very hot stuff in. Purees are usually at room temp as I don't pulverize very hot foods in the blender.