Google
 

May 25, 2009

Amritsari Aloo Wadi






The first time we went to Amritsar, I didn't know much about wadis. So I came back with a packet of papads and a whole lot of fake chicken legs. Later, I learnt about these little wadis that are very similar to the vathal made in the southern part of the country. I remembered reading in Asha's blog that the north indian cousins aren't meant to fried and eaten. Quite like the vathal that go into Vathal Kuzhambu.


One evening, on the long ride back home from work, I asked my colleague how to use the wadis I brought from Amritsar this time around. She gave me her recipe and I followed it mostly. It was quite easy to make and tasted very nice. I am sure to make this more often, especially when I am out of vegetables.


2 Potatoes, peeled and diced

1/2 cup Amritsari Urad Wadis, crushed

1 Onion, chopped finely
1 Tomato, chopped finely
1 tsp Ginger Paste
1 tsp Chilli Powder

1" stick Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Oil
Salt to taste


Heat the oil in a pressure pan. Add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the cinnamon stick and onions and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the ginger paste along with the turmeric, coriander and chilli powders. Add the crushed wadis and fry for another 3-4 minutes. Add the salt and the tomato and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add a cup of water and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the potatoes. Cover and cook for 3 whistles. Open the pressure pan and add the garam masala. Cook for 2-3 minutes.


Serve hot with rotis. This protein packed dish had me licking my lips after lunch. Thanks Namrata for a keeper recipe.

16 comments:

Finla said...

I have never had this, it looks so yummy.
I would love to visit Amritsar once.

Gita Jaishankar said...

This is new to me Raaga...looks very flavorful :)

luckysanjana said...

what are wadis never came across them before maybe i should google it

Cham said...

We get here, i thought of deep frying like vathal! The dish is simply delicious!

chef and her kitchen said...

Recently i saw this in a tv show....Waiting to get right wadi's to prepare this lol..

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Never eaten this before, though I have tried a Rajasthani variety of dal (or some gravy) with vadis.
Sounds interesting.

Alka said...

We too make these wadis, but we shallow fry these before adding to gravy.And there aren't wadis as flavorful as Amritsari wadis.My mom makes these often and i simply relish that
Ur recipe is bit diff. from what we follow, but i love variations :-)

Parita said...

Delicious looking curry..have never made curry using wadis before..will try :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

I've never had this .. it looks soo good

sra said...

I used to see these a long time ago in a store here, not anymore. We Telugus make a vadiyala pulusu but the vadis are fried before being further processed!

Soma said...

I love wadis esp. the punjabi ones loaded with spice. Thanks yaar for the idea.. today aloo wadi sis for dinner:-)

Bong Mom said...

what is fake chicken legs ?

Nithya Praveen said...

Love the wadis..unfortunately i dont get it here.There are really a wonderful and very tempting!Not sure its my first time here...loved it!

Indian Khana said...

I love wadis....my in-laws make like this...looks yum

foodcreate said...

I Love wadis!
Thanks for sharing:)

And if you visit me I could visit you:)

Welcome!
foodcreate

jas kaur said...

Please tell me how to make wadi.
Wadi recipe and also can we bake it.