Google
 

November 30, 2009

Macaroni Casserole



These days I seem to need all the inspiration I can find to cook. I've tried different meal plans, tried to cook as much as possible in advance, etc. But there are days when even the best laid plans turn their noses, lift up their thumbs and say Na-na-na-na-na. Last Thursday was one such day. I remembered my namesake's moussaka and Nupur's green bean casserole and ended up making a casserole with just about everything I could lay my hands on.


2 Potatoes, boiled, peeled and sliced

1 cup Macaroni, prepared according to instructions on the pack

1 cup Pasta Sauce

1 Onion, finely chopped

1/2 cup Spinach puree

1/4 cup Sweet Corn

1 tsp Olive Oil

1 tsp Mixed Herbs

1 tsp Chilli Flakes

1 cup White Sauce

1 slice Cheese

1/4 cup Bread Crumbs

Salt and Pepper to taste

Butter to grease the tin


Grease the tin with the butter. Preheat the oven to 200C (400F).


Heat the olive oil in a pan and saute the onions. Add the mixed herbs and the chilli flakes. Add the corn along with a little water. Cook until the corn is soft and the water has evaporated. Add the spinach puree and a little salt. Keep aside.


Blend the white sauce with the cheese and keep aside.


Arrange the potato slices to cover the base of the tin. Spread the pasta sauce over the potatoes. Spread the macaroni over this. Cover with the spinach and corn mixture. Pour the white sauce over this spinach layer. Season with salt and pepper and cover with bread crumbs.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Serve hot.



There were two things that I really liked about this casserole: The different flavours that came together beautifully and the wonderful colour combination that made it a visual treat.

13 comments:

Divya Kudua said...

Looks yummy..I have some Macaroni in my pantry..should try this one out!!

Deepthi Shankar said...

I need to give this one a try

Bombay Foodie said...

This looks so tempting...I would never make a casserole because its way too much food at once, but I enjoy looking at the ones you make.

s said...

looks great..and what i REALLY love these one dish dinners ..

Soma Pradhan said...

Lovely recipe..Thanks for sharing

Nupur said...

That looks wonderful! These bakes are perfect in this season, right?

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

Are you sure you aren't Italian? Looks delicious!

Parita said...

Casserole looks delicious!!

suvi said...

this sounds very very yum...I am certainly making this!!

Miri said...

When you run out of ideas, do what I do - make a menu on Sunday for the whole week. That way, I just follow the menu blindly with no thinking required when you come home so tired!

Raaga said...

Thanks everyone... yes, these casseroles are fun and very welcome in such weather.

Miri: I usually do have a menu... that night it was to be aloo methi and rotis... but the maid didn't turn up... so no rotis were made... and the hypocrite that I am :) I take refuge in the "I am a rice eater... can't make rotis" statement :)

sangeeta said...

Hi Raaga..
you have a great blog ...came here for the first time n i can see so many healthy n yummy recipes...

Swapna said...

Looks great :). How's the new abode?