Google
 

November 29, 2009

Beetroot Patties


I have a colleague and cabmate, S, who has a colleague and best friend, D. D's mother is, like my colleague P's mother, an excellent cook. Since I leave for work very early, and since I cook our breakfast and lunch in the morning before leaving for work, I end up eating breakfast at work because there just isn't any time. Very often, S and D have their breakfast at the same time in the office cafeteria. Every once in a while, I taste D's breakfast and I must say that her mother makes the most unusual dishes.


Last week, D brought these beetroot patties for breakfast. I had one bite and found that I couldn't stop myself from taking the second... and the third. S gave me the recipe on the way back home that evening and I was all set to try it out this weekend. All I can say is that I will make these again and again, all through this winter.


1/2 cup Beetroot, grated

1/2 cup Carrot, grated

2 tbsp Roasted Peanuts

1 tbsp Oil

1 tsp Ginger Paste

1 tsp Garlic Paste

1 tsp Green Chilli Paste

1/2 tsp Chilli Powder

1/2 tsp Amchur (Dry Mango Powder)

1 tsp Cumin-Coriander Powder

1/4 tsp Garam Masala

2-3 slices of Bread

Salt to taste

Cornflour to coat the patties

Oil for frying


Heat the tablespoon of oil and fry the ginger, garlic and green chilli pastes for a minute. Add the beetroot and carrot and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the peanuts along with the salt, chilli powder, amchur, cumin-coriander powder and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Add the garam masala. Crumble the bread slices into the beetroot mixture and mix well. Take off the flame and allow to cool.


Form small balls of this mixture and flatten them slightly. Coat them in the cornflour and shallow fry on a pan until crisp on both sides. Serve with a salad on the side (or some tomato ketchup).


Please do remember that there are only two days left for the Tried and Tasted event. Do hop over to Sunshinemom's blog and pick a recipe that you've always wanted to try and send it over to me.

11 comments:

Miri said...

I'm a sucker for trying out new kinds of patties - these are intriguing indeed.

Any idea why they cracked?

Priya Suresh said...

Such a gorgeous patties..lovely!

Priya Narasimhan said...

i love beetroot..i shall deifnitely try this..nice recipe.

PJ said...

nice idea to make patties out of beetroots! I love beets and can't wait to try this recipe.

s said...

great anti-oxidant filled idea!

Supriya said...

Yummy!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

These remind of the "beetroot cutlets" that my daughter loves from an old-world place in Cochin called Bharat Coffee House!

Gita Jaishankar said...

I make patties as an evening snack...this is a very interesting and different one for me without adding potatoes...I guess it quick to prepare too :)

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

Nice One.. .Love the texture of this patties.. its looks inviting...

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've just made a batch of these - I didn't have amchur so I used a bit of tamarind. So delicious!

Ann said...

Hi,

I tried these patties and they were really good..

Thanks a lot for sharing the recipe..

Cheers,
Ann