Google
 

November 14, 2009

Baked Stuffed Chillies



I have always avoided buying chillies. But I usually end up with a bag of the "bajji" variety chillies in the hope of making mirchi bajji. I have made that once (but sadly, the post languishes in my drafts) and the other times that I bought the chillies, I saved the bag from going into the trash by making this once and this the other time.


Today was a little different. I was quite determined to use up the chillies in a different manner before they turned into something unrecognizable. I had some aloo paratha stuffing left over and I modified it to stuff these chillies.


6 large Chillies, slit and deseeded

2 Potatoes, cooked and mashed

1 Onion, chopped finely

2 tbsp Coriander Leaves, chopped

1/2 tsp Garam Masala

1 tsp Chilli Paste

Salt to taste

To be ground:

1/4 cup Roasted Peanuts

1/2 tsp Amchur

1/2 tsp Coriander Powder

1 tsp Cumin Seeds

1 tsp Chilli Powder

1 tbsp Oil



Mix the potato, onion, coriander, garam masala, salt and chilli paste. Add the ground mixture and mix well.


Preheat the oven to 250 C. Use a little oil to grease a baking tray. Stuff the potato-peanut mixture into the chillies and arrange them on the tray. Brush the chillies with the remaining oil. Bake for 15 minutes, turning once in between.


This makes a wonderful side dish with some rice and dal, but as we discovered this afternoon, it is a finger licking good accompaniment to beer.

8 comments:

Gita Jaishankar said...

The stuffed chilies looks tasty Raaga...nice combination with dal and rice :)

Andy said...

Oh Raaga, Last month on an impulse I bought these chillies to make bajjis but then the bajjis never happened and the chillies went right into the garbage bag. Wish you had posted this last month. But it gives me a reason to buy those tempting chillies all over again!!

Priya Suresh said...

Temtping baked and stuffed chillies....

pelicano said...

As I was reading the ingredient list I was thinking: Punjabi...until I came to the peanuts! :-) Nice combo! I recall making a similar stuffed karela once; these look like such a nice treat with beer.

Supriya said...

Nice recipe.. I made stuffed capsicum once and the stuffing was on the sweeter side. Your recipe looks more on the spicier side and I definitely have to try it after looking at the nice photos :)

Unknown said...

i should try it for my beer !!! :)

Unknown said...

i should try it for my beer !!! :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I'm finally here after a long time! And its good to see you're still baking gorgeous muffins. :)

I love milagai bhajji, but these baked ones sound much better.