Google
 

November 15, 2009

Pumpkin and Tomato Soup


When I started blogging, I don't think I had even tasted Pumpkin Soup. Pumpkin was best used in sambar or vathal kuzhambu. I didn't think very much of this vegetable. Amma used to make a typical upkari with finely chopped pumpkin, but I didn't miss it if she didn't make it for a decade. I loved making (and eating) Pumpkin Pie. In the past couple of years, I have used this vegetable extensively in soups, side dishes and even used it in a cake. And I've been expermenting quite a bit.


The latest experiment was with a soup. I started out making the traditional tomato soup, but decided to use of the bag of cubed pumpkin that was stashed away in the freezer. I quite enjoyed the soup. It was rather filling and all I needed to go with it was a couple of cream crackers.


1 cup Pumpkin, cubed

4 Tomatoes, diced
1 Onion, diced
2 pods Garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste



Pressure cook the vegetables and the garlic with 2cups of water. When cool, blend in a liquidizer and strain. Bring the liquid to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.


If you're like me, there, dinner's on the table!

8 comments:

Pari Vasisht said...

Looks like a light filling soup, perfect for this horrid climate.

Priya Suresh said...

Such a delectable soup!

Raaga said...

Pari and Priya: Let me know if you try it out :)

Parita said...

Hey raaga truly awesome combination and so simple, will def give it a try, its perfect for the weather and i love pumpkin :-)

Sanghi said...

Soup looks so delicious!

Miri said...

I love pumpkin soup! I don't like the pumpkin porial since it tastes sweet but dont mind it in all the other things I have tried it in - just posted a sweet potato and spinach rice - pumpkin would be great in that too!

Ashwini said...

I am so tempted to try out Pumpkin soup after going through so many versions of yours. Will let you know how it turns out. Btw nice pic!

Cheerz
Ash.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

You know, your soup sounds quite interesting. I have always been cooking pumpkin the traditional way and not so far even tried dessert.
Guess I should. Do you use those big yellow/ orange pumpkins we get here, for your pies and stuff?