Google
 

December 25, 2008

Coriander Saar




The first recipe I posted on this blog was for my favourite tomato saar. I have lost count of the number of times I’ve made it. I don’t think it goes very well with rice, but it is great as a soup. When I hosted the MBP Soups and Salads, I tried out Nupur’s Tomato Red pepper Saar. That was a hit too.


When I posted the recipe for tomato saar as part of a discussion thread on food, Mo responded to it and asked me to try a similar recipe. I didn’t know her at all, but as it turns out, we know several people in common and her mother even met my mother, albeit many years ago. While I didn’t know her when she first responded, we have since become friends. I promised that I’d try out her version of saar as soon as I could.


Now that coriander leaves are very much in season, I couldn’t postpone making this any longer. This recipe was enough for just me. I ate nothing else. But otherwise, it would suffice as an appetizer for two.


1 cup Coriander Leaves, roughly chopped
2-3 tbsp Coconut, scraped
1 Green Chilli, slit
1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
Salt to taste


For the Tempering:


1 tsp Oil
¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
A good pinch Asafoetida
1 Red Chilli, broken into bits
7-8 Curry Leaves


Pressure cook the coriander leaves with the coconut, chilli, tamarind, salt and about 2/3 cup water. Blend in a liquidizer and bring the liquid to boil over a low flame.


In a frying ladle, heat the oil and add the cumin and mustard. When the mustard splutters, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and the red chilli. When the chilli turns bright red, add the tempering to the saar.


The flavours of this saar are familiar yet different. I know that I will make it again before vendors start rationing out coriander leaves. This saar was perfect for a very cold and gloomy afternoon. I am certain this will be a hit at any party. Thanks for a keeper recipe Mo.

Merry Christmas all of you!

12 comments:

sra said...

I've never heard of this, it's very different.

For us tomato saar was a staple at home - of course, we called it chaaru - it was perfect with kheema or some scrambled egg as well as crunchies like appadams.

Deepa said...

very interesting. why pressure cook though? general boiling not good enough? --deepa

Raaga said...

@Sra: What a coincidence... we were commenting on each other's posts at the same time.

@Deepa: I almost never boil anything as it takes longer and consumes a lot more gas. So, yes, boiling would work.

Unknown said...

Wow these look perfect for winter nights. Love the ingredients.

Purnima said...

Raga, very different saaru! Tks for sharing! I never heard of boiling dhania on its own, with exception of Varna where in final stages we boil few leaves in last khat-khato for flavor to blend..I too shall try this next when I hv a bunch on hand!
WISH U A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR AS WELL!
Tks for ur wishes.

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

Hi raaga
my gosh ! long time....i have missed a lot..will catch on..
may i take this moment to wish you avery happy new year 2009.Tomatoe saar followed by corainder saar...good dishes..will try some here.
Happy Boxing Day.

Shah cooks said...

is saar like a rasam? in the cold weather here, it looks so appetizing.

Miri said...

Thats quite a nice recipe for this cold weather ....btw, when are we meeting? this week is light at work and we could meet for lunch if you have the time (I work in Gurgaon). Mail me if it works for you...

Raaga said...

@POE: Yes, it is perfect for winter nights... :-) hot and spicy.

@Purnima: Try it, I am sure you'll like it. My aunt used to boil coriander in rasam also :-)

Raaga said...

@Anamika: Do try both... very Indian soups :-)

Raaga said...

@MG: Yeah Shaheen, it is like rasam. I prefer it as a soup than as a dish with rice :-)

@Miri: Yeah, lets catch up... lunch might not work as I work in the other end of town :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey
I am glad everyone liked the recipe. I generally use tetrapacked coconut milk as it is faster and gives a stronger coconut flavor that i like. Amma ofcourse uses the coconut gratings