December 23, 2008

Cornmeal Sprouts Salad

As part of our weekly supplies, I always brought back a packet of sprouts. I’d end up putting them in a salad or make stuff like this Ambat. When I was telling Amma about this over the phone, she was very surprised. She felt there was no reason for me to buy sprouts when I could make them without much effort at home.

The first time I made sprouts at home, my maid thought she was doing me this great favour. She put them in a box and slipped the box into the refrigerator! They had just started germinating and she probably decided enough was enough. The next time around, I made sure I kept them out of her sight. One lives, one learns!

1 cup Green Gram sprouts
1 large Cucumber, cut into discs and quartered
1 large Carrot, cut into sticks
5-6 Spring Onions, chopped
½ cup Cornmeal

For the dressing:

1 tbsp Lime Juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Place the cornmeal in a microwave safe bowl. Add 1 cup water and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Crumble.

Place the sprouts, cucumber, carrot and spring onions in a salad bowl. Add the cornmeal.

Mix the salt and pepper with the lime juice. Pour over the salad and toss. This is a light meal by itself that serves two. I’m sending this to JFI Sprouts as well as to the MLLA #6 hosted by Sug.


Preety said...

looks so healthy and nutritious..perfect entry for the event

Passionate Eater said...

What am amazingly innovative and healthy meal! Thanks for the inspiration!

Deepa said...

Hey, Guess what. I make something very similar, and it also has pear chopped up (for a sweet surprise) and grated ginger (a very small amlunt). Sometimes I add pomegranates for color...--Deepa

jayasree said...

Liked the idea of adding cornmeal. Shall try it soon.

Sig said...

I am not a big sprout eater, but just a couple of days ago my friend made me a sprout-fruit chat, it was delicious! I can adapt your recipe without the carrots and corn meal...

Happy Holidays dear Raaga!