October 21, 2008

Kirlayile Mugga Ambat

I had planned on posting all these konkani recipes when the RCI Konkani food was on. I was tied up with many things and didn't get around to blogging much. So, while it seems like all I've been cooking is coconut + tamarind + red chillies with a combination of other stuff, that is not the case. I wouldn't dream of cooking so much coconut at one go. And no, it is not because I think coconut is bad for health or any such thing. It is just that I bring back a limited supply of scraped coconut from a visit to Amma and I'm not scheduled to go and see her for the next 6-8 months and her trip to Gurgaon is now postponed to sometime next year. So, I have to s-t-r-e-t-c-h my stock to the extent possible.

This recipe, I am told, is made for shraadhs/devasams. So, while I've eaten this at my uncle's place, I can't remember eating this at home. I made it as it is a change from the tori/tinda/lauki routine. Moreover, I tend to do nothing with sprouts except eat them as such in a salad. This was one way of breaking out of my comfort zone.

1 cup sprouted Green Gram (Moong), cooked (until mushy)

2 tbsp Coconut, scraped

1 tbsp Tamarind Paste

2-3 Red Chillies

1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds

¼ tsp Oil

Salt to taste

For Tempering:

1 tbsp Oil

1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

7-8 Curry Leaves

Heat the quarter teaspoon of oil and fry the fenugreek seeds for a minute or two. Grind the coconut, tamarind, red chillies and the fenugreek seeds to a fine paste.

Mix this paste with the cooked sprouts and add salt and a little water. Bring this to a boil.

In a frying ladle, heat the oil and add the mustard. When the mustard splutters, add the asafoetida and turn off the flame. Add the curry leaves. Fry for a minute and add this to the boiling mixture. Serve hot with rice.

My ambat didn't turn out the way it usually does and I think that's because I didn't cook the beans until completely mushy. This is usually intended to be eaten with rice and I made it to go with chapatis.

Off this goes to my dear friend, Sra, as she hosts this month's edition of
My Legume Love Affair, Susan's initiative.


Fearless Kitchen said...

This looks delightful. I don't think I've done much with sprouts beyond salad either. This would be a great way to try them!

Vij said...

simple n nutritious...looks lovely !

Aaarti said...

Hey girl!!

wish u a very very happeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee birthday!!

will call in eve!! having a crazy day!!

sachin said...

hi dear friend,
how r u?
ur blog is really nice...

pls visit my blog for great information..

thank you dear
take care..

Susan said...

Konkani dishes are a fairly recent discovery for me. I made and blogged about a mushroom ambat some months ago - loved it. Love this, too.