Google
 

January 4, 2008

Pineapple Rasam



I do not know about the origins of this dish. And I haven't bothered to find out. I've had it at several functions, at my cousin's place and have loved this enough to have it served at my wedding. (I am half Konkani and half Tamil, married to a Telugu. Our wedding was mostly Konkani Saraswat followed by some Telengana rituals, but the food was completely Iyengar! Equal representation, isn't it?)


I attempted to make this some time ago. We bought a pineapple (atrociously expensive) because I love the fruit. We ate some, I used some up in Pineapple Sasam and with what was left, I made this rasam.


I don't know how "authentic" this recipe is. I made it partly from taste and partly from memories of Amma or my cousin making it. I loved it and savoured it to the last drop.


1/2 cup Pineapple, chopped
1/2 cup Tomatoes, chopped
400 ml Toor Dal Water (Use plain water if need be)
2 tbsp Cooked Toor Dal

1 tbsp Rasam Powder
1/4 tsp Asafoetida

1/2 tsp Pineapple Essence
1 tsp Jaggery
Juice of 1 lime or 1 tbsp Tamarind Paste (I do a half and half)
Coriander Leaves for garnish
Salt to Taste


For the tempering:
1 tsp Oil or Ghee
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
7-8 Curry Leaves



In a vessel, take the dal water and dal and add the asafoetida, salt and rasam powder. Add the tomatoes, pineapple, pineapple essence, jaggery and tamarind paste of and bring to a boil. (If using lime juice, do not add it at this stage. Add it at the very end and boil once.) Simmer it for 4-5 minutes.

In a small kadhai, heat the oil or ghee, add the mustard seeds, and when they splutter, add the curry leaves.Add this to the rasam. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

You can drink this as a soup or have it with rice. Mangalorean blood runs deep in my arteries and that is probably a reason why I love this sweet and sour number which is not very popular among many.

7 comments:

amna said...

the only sweet curry i like is pineapple pachadi served in kerala meals. maybe i shud try this since this one too uses pineapple!

EC said...

You surely must have had a great time with it

Padmaja said...

Rocky n Noel loves pineapple and i am not a great fan of it. I have never used it other then in salsa. Your rasam looks so yummy!!

Raaga said...

Nags, do use it and let me know if you like it.

Easy & Padmaja: You might end up liking it too :-)

bee said...

i've seen mango sasam, but i'm so trying your pineapple version. it's like a pacchadi.

Suganya said...

I have tasted this only in weddings. Thanks for the recipe, Raaga. Sure will try this.

Deepa said...

I have made mango rasam that's very much like this.