Google
 

October 18, 2007

Badam Kheer





I am not a kheer/payasam person. Whichever way you look at me. But there are a few that I love. Vermicelli and Cream of Wheat (Rava/Sooji) I can relish. The rice, sago and other varieties I really don't care much for. I have never made them and would jump at the idea of eating it should someone offer it to me. I do have a liking for the amchi kheers like Madgane, but I hardly ever make the stuff.



Having said all this, I must admit that there is one beauty that never fails to make me go weak at the knees. I love it so much that I can have it everyday (like that's going to happen!). I even had it served at my wedding as one of the desserts for the muhurtam lunch. (Yes, I had a traditional banana leaf lunch and a traditional banana leaf reception dinner too!) The first time I had this was many years ago. My parents had returned after Appa's brief stint in Eindhoven, Holland and we suddenly had more almonds than we could use. After S and I got married, we somehow never had almonds at home. About 6 months ago, we got a packet of almond slivers from my cousin in Canada. And recently, I decided to buy a packet. And the very next day, I made badam kheer.





1/4 cup Almonds, soaked overnight and peeled
1 tbsp Cashews, soaked overnight
1/2 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (Milkmaid/Mithai Mate)
4-5 cups Milk (I used a litre)
1 tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee)
2 tsp Raisins
2 tsp Cashews
a pinch Saffron, dissolved in some milk

To garnish (Optional):
Almond Slivers
A few saffron strands


Grind the soaked almonds and cashews to a fine paste adding a little milk.

Bring the milk to a boil in a large vessel and add the condensed milk to it. Keep stirring until the mixture is even (else you'll have burnt condensed milk). Add the cashew-almond paste and the saffron paste and simmer the mixture for about 10-15 minutes. It will begin to thicken nicely.

In a small frying ladle, heat the clarified butter and add the raisins and cashews and fry for a minute or two. Add to the milk mixture.

Garnish with the almond slivers and the saffron strands, if using.




As we complete 13 months of marriage today, I send my favourite kheer to Sunita for her Think Spice... Think Saffron event.

My last post was about how I've been inspired. Now I'd like to introduce someone who has been inspired by me and my blog. My friend and neighbour, S, has just started her own food blog. Please visit http://thedreamingcook.blogspot.com/ and give her the encouragement she needs.

I'm off to the Himalayas again for a weekend of treks and white water rafting. I'll see you all when I get back. Have a happy Dassara.

29 comments:

Swaroopa said...

hey Raaga! gr8 recipe. im drooling over it!!! cant wait to try it.

Siri said...

Hey raaga, lovely kheer dear..:) and Congrats on 13 month anniversary..:D
What a co-incidence dear, even I am off to Smoky mountains for trekking and white water rafting this weekend...:).. Have a nice time and do share ur experiences with all of us..cya..

FH said...

Excellent looking sweet, yum! Have a great time Raaga. Have a fun Navratri too!:))

Sia said...

i am J... not for kheer(i too am not a kheer lover like u) but for ur himalaya trekking and river rafting ;) have a wonderful time raaga:)

Padmaja said...

hey Raaga!! Simple n incredible dish!!! and hey visited S's blog. Its wodnerful to see you encouraging your FRIEND

Anonymous said...

you know this should not be called kheer - kheers/ payasams are not meant to taste good - i run at the mere mention of the word payasam (vermicelli is the worst according to me :) ).

badam kheer is an exception to the rule.

sunita said...

Raaga, the kheer sounds wonderful...and you enjoy your trek...Oh, Dinesh will be so envious if I mention it...he had gone on a few himself and every now and then longs for more...in fact we both do.(sigh)

Unknown said...

Wow... Badam Kheer!!! Yummy!!!
And congrats on 13th month Anniversary :)

Laavanya said...

Badam kheer looks very tasty. Have a happy trip in the Himalayas.

Padma said...

The Kheer looks so creamy and silky, I am a kheer lover and can have the whole bowl of it, pls pass on!

Rajitha said...

okay..now i want to do something fun...trekking and rafting! nice :)
btw...love badam kheer too...but too lazy to make it...

ushaprashanth said...

Hi !
Badam kheer looks delicious!!! good entry for the event!

Saju said...

that kheer looks so good! yummmmmmmmmmmm!

Finla said...

Hey i am a sweet person. Love the kheer

Kribha said...

Hey Raaga,
I'm a payasam lover and your badam kheer looks soooo good. Nice presentation. I do it similar to you except the use of cashews and raisins. Will try it your way next time.

Unknown said...

I like kheers with freshly grind badam its so rich and delicious. Nice entry Raaga.

Suganya said...

I've never had badam kheer after I came to the US. Bcoz, every time we newly weds were invited to dinner/lunch, the menu is almost ditto. Drumstick sambar ;), potato curry, kootu, badam kheer...aaahhh...

musical said...

I love badam kheer, or kheer for that matter :). Yours looks really good. and hey, ejoy the trekking, dear :). Have fun!

Grihini said...

Nice looking badam kheer. And congrats on ur 13th month anniversary.

Happy rafting n relaxing times in the himalayas.

See ya soon.

Cynthia said...

I love vermicelli and rice kheer. This one is new to me.

It's a pity that I'm lactose intolerant and can't enjoy these :(

Anonymous said...

Happy looking n rich kheer!:) Congratulations on completing 13months of married life..

Revathi said...

Inspired by you, I sent this for the event:

http://grevathi.blogsome.com/2007/10/20/my-cooking/

chk it put when you get time

Latha Narasimhan said...

Lovely looking kheer! Till lakshmi got married , badam kheer was always there in the festival menu as she wound'nt try any other kheer or paayasam.!

Viji said...

It's wonderful Raaga. Enjoy your break. Viji

Raaga said...

Thanks all of you. I do hope you try it and enjoy it.

sagari said...

yummy kheer

Viji said...

No one can resist this. Viji

Chitra said...

Babe, Made your kheer recipe yday. It was a big hit and tasted so yummy. Been a while since u updated your blog. Where are you?

Unknown said...

hi no sugar in this one Raaga?