Google
 

August 13, 2012

Kesar Pista Kulfi



A couple of weekends ago, we visited a friend for a potluck dinner. I had made a lot of Bisi Bele Huli Anna and my friend decided to make some curd rice. She had also made some very nice sabudana tikkis as a starter. And just when we thought we could eat no more, she brought out some kulfi.


The kulfi tasted so good that I had to try it out at home. The recipe is so simple, it is almost as if there is nothing to it. Also, my traditional way of making kulfi involves boiling the milk with condensed milk. This method involves no cooking. I blended all the ingredients in a blender, but I think I should use a hand whisk the next time. The blending left some froth on the top of my kulfis.


1 can Evaporated Milk
1 can (400g) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 tin (170g) Cream


For the topping, grind together:

1 tbsp Pistachios
1 tbsp Almonds
a pinch Saffron
1/4 tsp Cardamom


Mix the evaporated milk, condensed milk and cream. Whisk together until well blended. Add the topping and mix again. Fill the kulfi moulds with this mixture and freeze until set. When set, dip the moulds in warm water, unscrew and hold over a plate. The kulfi slides out effortlessly.


This is a keeper recipe for me even if everything came out of a can!

3 comments:

MMB said...

Wow. I've never mixed saffron with cardamom, but I think I will try out this recipe. Thanks for posting.

Laavanya said...

I make something similar but with an extra can (of mango puree) - for super mango icecream.

smita said...

Evaporated milk is not something that is easily available in stores. Is there a substitute that can be used?