Google
 

August 11, 2012

Carrot Beetroot Chocolate Mini Muffins




Baking for little children is fun. I find instant approval or disapproval when a child tastes what I have made. No pretense, no niceties. I have rediscovered baking with butter in the past year and I find that the texture of the cakes is really nice. I have nothing against baking cakes with oil, just that once in a while, butter is better. And when I bake for children, I feel I must use butter.


I was on my way to meet a dear friend and remembered that I had promised her daughter chocolate muffins. So I made these very quickly. But then I had just grated some carrots to make parathas for A, so I decided to sneak some in to these muffins as well. Then I thought beets would also make a good addition.


The best part about this entire recipe is that one cannot even taste the carrot or beetroot in the final product. They just seem to make the muffins super moist. I know this one is a keeper.


3/4 cup Flour
1 1/2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 cup Sugar
a Pinch Salt
1/4 cup Butter
1 Eggs
1/4 cup Grated  Carrot
1/4 cup Grated Beetroot
1/2 tsp Vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350F/180 C. Sift the flour, cocoa, and baking powder along with the salt.

Cream the butter and the sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and beat again. Add the sugar and vanilla and
beat well together. Fold the flour cocoa mixture into this.

Prepare the mini muffin pans by lining them with paper muffin cases or spraying them with baking spray.

Stir the grated carrot and beetroot into the batter and pour into the prepared muffin cases. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

Little A polished off two of these almost as soon as they were out of the oven. The batter makes 16 mini muffins. I packed some in a box and took them to meet some old friends and their children. Gone in sixty seconds may be a better title for this recipe!

5 comments:

Raksha said...

Yea baking with nutter is really good for children :)

TheCooker said...

Thomas looks pleased with the lovely cupcakes!
Did you use raw beetroot?

Raaga said...

Thanks!

TC: yup! I used raw very finely grated beets and carrots. I used the same same apparatus I use for lemon zest.

MMB said...

Baking with butter is also healthier. Good job!

Prema said...

delicious muffins, luks yum...