Google
 

August 15, 2012

Cherry Berry Yogurt Tart



A few years ago, our blogs were our blogs. Fellow bloggers and other readers would come to our blogs, read our posts and comment on them. I remember very clearly the time when I lived for those comments. Because they were my only connection to my readers. (Julie & Julia, anyone?) I still wait eagerly for comments to posts that I put up. Today they are few and far between. But many lines are blurring and I now have multiple connections with my fellow bloggers and readers. Facebook is one of those connections.

Last year, a few random conversations led to the formation of a Baking Club and all of us made a Mango Cake. I got a little busy in the months that followed and couldn't keep up. Over the next few months, my blog suffered from lack of attention. In the last few months, it has picked up speed again.

 
A more recent chat on Facebook led to the revival of this club. The one I fondly called The Sisterhood of Travelling Cake Tins is now christened that. And since today is the 100th birthday of Julia Child, the theme for this episode is her Baked Yogurt Tart. Keep a lookout in the blogosphere today. You are bound to see multiple yogurt tarts from my dear friends and fellow bloggers. And given that Cook For Julia is being hosted by PBS, you will see many other Julia Child recipes too.

This recipe is adapted from a Julia Child recipe found here. I used readymade frozen puff pastry for the base. You can find my tried and trusted recipe for shortcrust pastry here. I omitted the nuts from the recipe.

1 recipe Shortcrust Pastry dough/Puff Pastry

For the filling:

2 cups Yogurt
3/4 cup Sugar
3 Eggs
3/4 cup Flour
2 tbsp pure Vanilla Extract

1/2 cup Cherries, pitted and halved
1 cup Mixed Berries (I used raspberries, blackberries and blueberries)

Icing sugar, for dusting

Heat the oven to 400F/200C.


Roll the pastry doughinto a 12 inch circle of 1/4 inch thickness and fit it into a 9" round springform pan. Cover the top with baking paper and blind bake for 20 minutes with pie weights, rice or beans.

Remove the weight and the baking paper and allow the tart shell to cool. Set the oven to 325F/160C.



 In the meanwhile, beat the eggs and the sugar together. Add the yogurt and the vanilla extract and mix well. Add the flour a little by little and fold it into the mixture. Pour the mixture into the cooled tart shell. Do not fill to the brim, only about 2/3. Add the fruit. (The tart will look like this at this stage.) Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool. Cut into wedges and serve.

Packed with fruit and the goodness of yogurt, this is one keeper recipe.

Happy 100th birthday Julia! Happy Independence Day! And a toast to dear S and I. We lost our independence this day six years ago when we got engaged formally.

Here are the links to the other posts from the sisterhood:

Aparna: Baked Yogurt Tart (Tarte Au Yaourt) With Fresh Orange & Pistachios, In An Oatmeal Crust
Nandita:Baked Yogurt Berry Tart
Arundathi:
Arundati:Baked Yogurt Tart with Blueberries, Almonds and Orange Zest in an Oatmeal Pie Crust</
Monika:Baked Yogurt Tart with Fresh Figs and Blueberries

11 comments:

Laavanya said...

What a pretty tart that is... I like the flaky crust you have there.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

So nice to be baking together again. I missed all those conversations. :)
Love the rustic appeal of your lovely tart. And I envy you those cherries and the berries! :D

Raksha said...

this tart looks well baked

Raaga said...

Thanks all!

Aparna: I guess I didn't realize what I was missing until we resumed :-)

Prema said...

Delicious tart,luks tempting...

sra said...

Sometimes i wonder if the multiple connections are responsible for the lack of comments! Ok, I've spoken to her somewhere else so it's okay not to comment on her blog - I wonder if that's how it works? :-D

I think comments are a thrill in a class all its own - even I have fewer comments on my posts than before and comment lesser than I used to. All this social networking takes a lot of time, I guess.

Your tart looks lovely and I wish I could have a piece of it!

Raaga said...

Thanks Premalatha.

Sra: I agree... I forget at times that I haven't visited a blog in ages... just because they are all on FB.

MMB said...

Due to dietary restrictions, I have to modify recipes to be gluten-free but recipes such as your are at the same time a challenge and an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

the tart looks so good and it was a pleasure baking with you girls :)

Anita said...

You have much to celebrate this month!
That's a fab looking tart. Maybe I should get out of my laziness and make some pastry! You sure are up to speed now!

Swati Raman Garg said...

d first one is a perfect pic :) and d pastry looks so flaky! i have never made my own pastry!