Google
 

March 4, 2010

Zucchini Thuvayal



Winter. I have to talk about it in the past tense. As early as the first week of March. I’ve enjoyed using winter vegetables in just about every dish these past 3-4 months and I’m going to be sorry to see them disappear over the coming 2-3 weeks. Then it is back to the Tinda-Tori-Bhindi-Kundru-Lauki routine, all the way until November. Such is life.


I bought some zucchini to make a stir fry, but ended up using it in this thuvayal. I really wonder why I don’t make these thuvayals/thogayals often enough. They’re easy, tasty and are a great way to add another vegetable dish to your table.


2 Zucchinis, chopped

4 Red Chillies

1 tsp Mustard

3 tsp Urad Dal

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

3 tsp Oil

1 tbsp Tamarind Paste

Salt to taste


For the tempering:

1 tsp Oil

1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/2 tsp Urad Dal

a pinch Asafoetida

5-6 Curry Leaves



Place the zucchini pieces in a microwave safe bowl. Add 2 tbsp of water and cook on high for 2 minutes. Squeeze out the water when cool.


Heat the oil and fry the red chillies, mustard, asafoetida and urad dal for a couple of minutes. Grind the chillies along with the tamarind paste and salt. Add the zucchini pieces and grind again. Finally, add the fried mustard and urad dal and grind lightly.


Heat the teaspoon of oil for the tempering in a frying ladle. Add the mustard, urad dal and the asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves. Add this tempering to the zucchini mixture.


Serve this with rice and a little ghee and some papads or vadams on the side. We ate this with rice, rasam, and Kootu.

11 comments:

FH said...

Love Zucchini, must try. Made your Matar Kulcha today for dinner, yummy. Never even heard of Matar Kulcha combo before, thanks.

Unfortunately, my "edit posts" is not working for 3 days now,can't type in or publish, don't know when do blogger fix it. I will post Matar Kulcha when I can.

Divya Kudua said...

I have a Zucchini in the fridge too:).Never made thogayal..I have to try this one.

Btw,made your Broccoli-mushroom-corn bake tonight for dinner.Was yummmmm:)

You have to send me a cake for the event..no brownies:):)

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious thuvaiyal..

Unknown said...

Thuvayal looks too good. havent thought of making thuvayal with zucchini!

Raji P. said...

My favorite! I throw in a handful of almonds as well, and it adds a crazily awesome flavor (and protein) that nobody can figure out as they devour it.

Raji P. said...

My favorite! I throw in a handful of almonds as well, and it adds a crazily awesome flavor (and protein) that nobody can figure out as they devour it.

Jayashree said...

"Winter" or what passes for it has been long here in Chennai.....it's already way too hot.

Nandita Iyer said...

Well I am going to enjoy the stuff available here as long as it is :)
I love zucchini as pizza toppings or oven roasted in pasta - given the price I feel other Indian veggies are more suited to thuvaiyal - I tried a cabbage thuvaiyal inspired by the Talimpu blog and i can guarantee it will convert every cabbage hater into a cabbage lover :)

Raaga said...

Thanks all...

Raji: I shall try it with almonds :)

Nan: Zucchini is about as expensive as beans here(25-40 bucks a kilo), so it doesn't really come under the "exotic" category in winter. :) I was about to make a purple cabbage thuvayal last night, and decided against it and made a curry instead.

Ms.Chitchat said...

Never heard of zucchini thogaiyal. Interesting and a new recipe added to my diary :) Thanks a ton.

Chitchat
http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Thogayal with zucchini sounds like good thing to make. Maybe my family will eat this vegetable this way.

I'm missing the winter for more things than one. Its started warming up here.
At least, there's mangoes to look forward to! :)