Google
 

March 23, 2010

Spiced "Fruit" Cake



This has been one long overdue post. I baked this “healthy” cake for Amma’s birthday in December. I cut it myself while wishing her over the phone and we promptly ate it. I took the cake to work the next day and it was gone in no time. I played around with this cake because I have seen a lot of people blindly bring ingredients together and bake a cake. I have always wanted to stick to a recipe. This time, I tried that and wasn’t in the least disappointed with this cake.

1 cup Flour




¾ cup Wheat Flour


2 tsp Baking Powder


¼ tsp Baking Soda


1 tsp Salt


¾ cup Jaggery, grated


1/3 cup Carrots, grated


1/3 cup Beetroot, grated


3 Bananas (overripe), peeled


1/4 cup Applesauce


¼ tsp Cinnamon


¼ tsp Allspice


2-3 tbsp Oil


2 Eggs


Oil and Flour to dust the tin
Icing Sugar to dust the cake








Heat the oven to 350F. Grease and dust a loaf tin.




Sift the dry ingredients together.


Combine the bananas, eggs, applesauce, oil and jaggery in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, blend all these to a rough paste. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and add the grated carrot and beetroot. Mix well and pour into the prepared cake tin.


Bake for 35-40 minutes (or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean). Cool on a rack for a few minutes and dust with icing sugar.

11 comments:

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said...

This looks fantastic Raaga. I like the idea to spice up the cake.

Divya Kudua said...

Wow..for 'putting it together' this cake looks super yum!!I always stick to a recipe when it comes to baking..even if you put it all along,I can follow your recipe..:)

Andy said...

Yumm!! Thats a second one for you in as many minutes....I wonder what I will end if I try "put it together"!!

Cynthia said...

Ummmm and a cup of chai would make this complete! All spiced up! :)

sra said...

LOL at the first para!

Unknown said...

Love all those ingredients in there! That slice looks perfect.

Sangeetha said...

hi raaga, first time here. was looking at some old baking recipes and saw that u used vital wheat gluten. where can i get this in gurgaon? thanks.

Bharathy said...

carrots beet, bananas, wheat flour...spices..wow!! I like this!!

Cooking Foodie said...

Wow that is an interesting variation on fruit cake...

Miri said...

Beetroot? Now thats interesting!!!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Great way to celebrate your Mum's birthday. That cake looks good and its reall "healthy" with all that vegetable in it. :)