Google
 

March 5, 2010

Winter Vegetable Sukke



I make a lot of mixed vegetable dishes, especially in winter. I’ve gone on endlessly about how I like a colourful plate. I found a whole bunch of vegetables that needed to be used up, and quickly. It was time for my weekly vegetable purchasing spree and I had just 1-2 pieces of each vegetable left in the crisper. I made this dish for lunch and used one vegetable of every variety I had on hand. I ended up using seven vegetables. Feel free to use any combination of vegetables for this dish. I’ve found that winter vegetables lend themselves very well to this preparation.



1 Radish, peeled
1 Beetroot, peeled

1 Red Carrot, peeled

1 Purple Carrot, peeled

1 Turnip, peeled
1Potato, peeled and quartered
1Onion, quartered
1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds

1/2 tsp Urad Dal
1 tsp Oil
1/4 cup Coconut
3-4 Red Chillies
1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
1/4 tsp Turmeric
Salt to taste

For the tempering:
1 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
7-8 Curry Leaves

Cut the radish, carrots, turnip and beetroot into 2" long pieces. Pressure cook all the vegetables with a little salt for 1-2 whistles.

Heat the oil and fry the fenugreek seeds, urad dal and the coriander seeds for a minute. Grind this along with the turmeric, tamarind, coconut and red chillies to a somewhat fine paste. Add this paste to the cooked vegetables and add salt to taste. Cook for 4-5 minutes.

Heat the teaspoon of oil for the tempering in a frying ladle. Add the mustard and the asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves. Add this tempering to the vegetable mixture. Serve hot with rice and
dali-saar or with chapatis.

18 comments:

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca said...

Yummy!!!Thats a nice and different dish....Will definitely try....Nice colour!!!!

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

I also like colours in my plate. the sukke looks absolute yum!

Herrad said...

Hi Raaga,
This looks and sounds good, thanks for sharing the recipe.
Love,
Herrad

Soma Pradhan said...

Nice and very healthy recipe

Sig said...

When she is back, she is BACK! :) Three posts already... looks like you've been a busy bee...

Ms.Chitchat said...

Interesting idea of combining all the vegetables to a tasty dish. Healthy too.

Chitchat
http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/

Shobha Oruganti said...

Looks nice and tasty- I will try this sometime soon. I bet it will taste great if you marinate it and fry it a bit :)- too fatty maybe??

Shob

Miri said...

Sukke is amazing in its meld of flavours - time I started making it myself!

Anonymous said...

Look really good, here is my blog about healthy choice recipes,-Thai food,
http://healthythaifoodbythebennett.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I am trying to get more into cooking this year, this looks yummy and I think I am going to add it to the list :) thanks for sharing.

Deepthi Shankar said...

thatz very yummy ..I love loads of veggies in my curries

Cynthia said...

At first glance I thought of tuna :)

Unknown said...

That is a colorful medley of vegetables.

SpicyTasty said...

Lovely and of course healthy too. Lots of veggies in a dish thats interesting recipe.

Srivalli said...

That looks good Raaga..

Rajesh &Shankari said...

very colorful!

Aparna S Mallya said...

looks pretty good!

Meena said...

very unique dish...awesome space you have here...first time on your blog! will be back soon...