Google
 

November 22, 2008

Thengai Sevai


As a child, I was not in the habit of eating "tiffin" after school. Amma never bothered making any after school snacks for us as we were barely interested in food. All we wanted to do was dump our bags at home and go out to play until our respective curfew times. Also, instant sevai was not popular three decades ago, if it did exist then, that is. Amma would make sevai from scratch on weekends and we looked forward to those days. (And we took turns "twisting the press".) This is one of my favourite snacks and I love taking it in my lunchbox every now and then. Not as much effort as back then, you see!


2 cups Concorde Instant Rice Sevai

1/4 cup Coconut, scraped
Salt to taste


For the tempering:
1 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
7-8 Curry Leaves
1/4 tsp Urad Dal
3 Red Chillies

1 tbsp Cashews (optional)


Prepare the rice sevai as per instructions on the pack and keep aside.


Heat the oil in a kadhai. Add the urad dal. When the urad dal begins to change colour, add the mustard and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves, red chillies and cashews (if using). Add the coconut and fry for a couple of minutes. Turn off the flame.


Add this to the prepared sevai along with the salt. Mix well taking care not to mash the sevai. This is good as a snack for 4 people.

Check out : Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawana, Raaji, Ruchii, Anu, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya M, Lakshmi, Lakshmi Venkatesh , Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, Pavani, Karuna and Roochi.

10 comments:

Mishmash ! said...

hmm...my mother used to make this as our evening snack,,,,she uses leftover idiappam/noolappam (thats what we call string-hoppers) and then season it in the same fashion to make this yummy one ...this with a cup of tea is my fav combo :) u just brought back lots of memories :)

Divya Kudua said...

I so agree with Mishmash..amma used to finish off leftover idiyappams in this fashion...sometimes in this avtaar or sometimes sweet,with churna..;-)

Unknown said...

That sevege is looking so nice...

Srivalli said...

I love this raaga...looks so delicious

anudivya said...

Raaga, Instant sevai is such a big blessing! Can't imagine making it from scratch, rather I don't know how to make it.
This looks yum.

CurryLeaf said...

Yum,Instant sevai,is indeed blessing.I agree with mishmash,remaining idiappams are finished like this.The traditional way is very tiresome.

Deepthi Shankar said...

yumm .. i just love this version

Cynthia said...

Hon, you will make me a lactose-free fruit bread?! I am on the next plane! :)

Uj said...

I love this sevai.. I too used to make these very often.. Been ages since I had rice sevai.. Looks yummy

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Love, love, love sevai in all its avatars.
Does the dehydrated sevai turn out as tasty? My experience has been otherwise. :(
Pressing sevai out is something I'm not very fond of.:)