Google
 

November 27, 2008

Butter Garlic Vegetables




I love eating out. I am a food blogger and most people somehow expect that I am against "eating out". Quite the contrary. I am about the laziest person you'll ever meet and will jump at the first opportunity to not do something. Cooking included!

My favourite kind of food when I'm eating out is Continental. And at some places, they serve some lovely veggies on the side, especially with sizzlers. I think that I order those dishes just for the sides. I attempted recreating the side dish at home not as a side dish, but as one of the 3 meals that we carry to work on most days.


Browsing the intranet for food related articles, I found an article that talked about cooking vegetables. I usually cook all vegetables together in the microwave or in the pressure cooker. But I liked this method that talked about varying lengths of cooking for time for different vegetables. This way vegetables like broccoli don't get totally disintegrated. I didn't save a link to that post and it is easily over a year since I made this dish. It has been languishing in my drafts for the longest time.


8-10 Baby Potatoes, peeled

15-20 French Beans, strung

2 Carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch strips

8-10 Broccoli florets

1 tbsp Butter

1/2 tbsp Garlic, finely chopped

2 tsp Chilli Flakes

Salt to Taste


In a large pan/vessel, take around 2 litres of water. Add the baby potatoes and bring to a boil. When the water boils, add the beans. After about 3 minutes, add the carrots. When the carrots are slightly soft (not mushy), turn off the flame and add the broccoli. Drain after 2 minutes and plunge the vegetables in ice cold water. Drain and keep aside.


In a pan, heat the butter and add the chilli flakes and garlic. After a minute, add the vegetables and salt. Toss until coated.


Intended as a side, I can eat this dish just as it is. And as always, I love the fact that it looks like a rainbow. Nothing like some healthy food for a healthy lifestyle, not to forget good exercise. Check out the blogs of these marathon runners:

1) DK
2) Siri
3) Srivalli
4) Ranji
5)PJ
6)Curry Leaf
7)Medha
8)Priya
9)Bhawna
10)Raaji
11)Ruchii
12)Anu
13)Kamala
14)Roopa
15)Divya Kudua
16)Rekha
17)Divya M
18)Lakshmi

19)Lakshmi Venkatesh

20)Sripriya

21)Viji

22)Kamalika

23) Pavani

5 comments:

Medhaa said...

Very healthy. Love the basil walnut pesto too

Divya Kudua said...

Love the butter garlic veggies..I too love the olive oil veggie salads that are usually served with sizzlers!!

CurryLeaf said...

Surely rainbow of colours.I also cook evrything together in the PC or MW

SMN said...

I would love to have this with plain rice yum:)

anudivya said...

I love to eat out, but equally love cooking too.
This looks nice and filling.