November 19, 2008

Bread Upma

Weekend mornings. Don't we live for them? I think I most definitely do. I don't like waking up and having to think about what to make for breakfast. To emerge victorious here, we used to step out of home for a leisurely breakfast at our favourite south indian restaurant, Naivedyam. Of late, we've gotten bored of that routine. So, on most days, it is a fruit shake followed by a full fledged meal.

On one weekend morning, we were up fairly early. We had 5 slices of bread left over from the week and a couple of potato buns from my baking escapade. Since we weren't in the mood for eggs on toast, I decided to make this spicy upma.

6-8 slices Bread, torn to small bits

1 Onion, choped finely

1 tsp Oil

¼ tsp Cumin Seeds

¼ tsp Mustard Seeds

¼ tsp Asafoetida

7-8 Curry Leaves

¼ tsp Turmeric Powder

1 tsp Chilli Powder

1 Green Chilli, slit

Salt to taste

Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard, cumin and the asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the green chilli and the onion. Add the curry leaves and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and the salt. Add the bread and mix well. Sprinkle some water over the bread. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes. Enjoy your breakfast with a cup of coffee or tea.

Check out what my friends are up to: DK , Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Anu, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya M, Lakshmi, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, DK, and Pavani.


Curry Leaf said...

looks lovely.Easy to make bfast

Madhu said...

This looks so lovely, i need to try this, i have lots of bread.


Srivalli said...

thats my fav when in need..looks good raaga!

Cynthia said...

Well since you make such delicious and interesting things on weekend mornings, I think I want to come to your place on the weekends :) not sure how I am getting there though :)

Divya Kudua said...

I don't have any leftover bread these days since hubby demands YOUR garlic bread most days..;-)..I too love it and wait for him to ask so that I can put the blame of calorie on him..;-)..upma looks delicious..;-)

Vibaas said...

Looks yummy and fiery :)

DEESHA said...

i make this often .. simple & delicious

DEESHA said...

i make this often .. simple & delicious

Trupti said...

this is indeed a weekend treat...looks good!