Google
 

November 19, 2008

Bread Upma


Weekend mornings. Don't we live for them? I think I most definitely do. I don't like waking up and having to think about what to make for breakfast. To emerge victorious here, we used to step out of home for a leisurely breakfast at our favourite south indian restaurant, Naivedyam. Of late, we've gotten bored of that routine. So, on most days, it is a fruit shake followed by a full fledged meal.


On one weekend morning, we were up fairly early. We had 5 slices of bread left over from the week and a couple of potato buns from my baking escapade. Since we weren't in the mood for eggs on toast, I decided to make this spicy upma.


6-8 slices Bread, torn to small bits

1 Onion, choped finely

1 tsp Oil

¼ tsp Cumin Seeds

¼ tsp Mustard Seeds

¼ tsp Asafoetida

7-8 Curry Leaves

¼ tsp Turmeric Powder

1 tsp Chilli Powder

1 Green Chilli, slit

Salt to taste


Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard, cumin and the asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the green chilli and the onion. Add the curry leaves and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and the salt. Add the bread and mix well. Sprinkle some water over the bread. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes. Enjoy your breakfast with a cup of coffee or tea.

Check out what my friends are up to: DK , Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Anu, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya M, Lakshmi, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, DK, and Pavani.

9 comments:

CurryLeaf said...

looks lovely.Easy to make bfast

Unknown said...

This looks so lovely, i need to try this, i have lots of bread.

Madhu/Ruchii

Srivalli said...

thats my fav when in need..looks good raaga!

Cynthia said...

Well since you make such delicious and interesting things on weekend mornings, I think I want to come to your place on the weekends :) not sure how I am getting there though :)

Divya Kudua said...

I don't have any leftover bread these days since hubby demands YOUR garlic bread most days..;-)..I too love it and wait for him to ask so that I can put the blame of calorie on him..;-)..upma looks delicious..;-)

Vibaas said...

Looks yummy and fiery :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

i make this often .. simple & delicious

Deepthi Shankar said...

i make this often .. simple & delicious

TNL said...

this is indeed a weekend treat...looks good!