Google
 

November 7, 2008

Coffee Walnut Cake


I love coffee. When I say that to people, they think I drink endless cups of coffee made my way. In reality, I have a cup a day. No more, no less. Not really, there are those days when I don't have any coffee, but I doubt there are days when I drink more than one cup. So when I had a friend staying over, I made 2 cups. But she left in a hurry as we woke up very late. I didn't want to drink an extra cup. And I abhor drinking coffee made from the previous day's decoction. Fresh is my mantra! So I stuck it in the fridge and decided to think about what to do with it.


A couple of days later, it was my colleague's birthday. I wanted to try a differently flavoured cake. I thought of orange. Laks suggested apple. I thought about making the apple cake but remembered that my colleague wasn't too kicked about an apple cake when we'd discussed it. When I opened the fridge for something else, I saw the coffee sitting there and right then it hit me. I thought, "A real coffee cake".



The cake was just about everything I thought it would be. I added some walnuts to the batter which gave some crunch to this lactose free cake.


1 cup Flour

1/2 cup Sugar

2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda

a Pinch of Salt

1/2 cup Coffee Decoction

1/4 cup Oil

1 tsp Coffee Essence

1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped

1 Egg, beaten


Sift all the dry ingredients for the cake together into a food processor jar with the dough blade. Pour in all the liquid ingredients and run the processor for 2 minutes. Blend in the walnuts.


Prepare an 8 inch round cake tin by first smearing a little butter all over the tin and then dusting it with flour. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 30 minutes at 350 F.


Cut into wedges and serve with a glass of cold milk. If you love coffee with coffee, enjoy a wedge of this cake with steaming hot cup of coffee.


As it turns out, Meeta is hosting her popular Monthly Mingle this month and she's picked Coffee & Tea as the theme. How wonderfully convenient for me! And now it is time to see what my fellow bloggers are up to. Puffing and panting? Or going strong? Check them out for yourself: Siri, Srivalli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Anu, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya M, Lakshmi, Lakshmi Venkatesh , Sripriya, Viji, Kamalika, Pavani

19 comments:

lakshmi said...

would you believe it if i told you that i made a similar cake with our own kaapi decoction a long time back? :D

that piece looks delicious - i love my morning cup of coffee too!!

CurryLeaf said...

Delich,I am a te drinker and will not give it up,but when I baked coffee cookies ,I fell in love with it.I love baking with coffee pdr ,but not drinking :D,I know that it is delicious and can imagine and inhale the aroma that wafted from the oven.

Finla said...

I love coffee cakes and this looks really yummy.

Kitchen Chronicles said...

lovely. looks so yum

Unknown said...

Love all coffee cakes. This one looks great, and with no butter too!

kamala said...

I dont drink coffee or tea..But the cake look so moist!

jayasree said...

Cakes looks very moist. Love the falvor of coffee. Let me try baking an eggless version.

Arundathi said...

can't do without my cuppa in the morning either. but maybe i'd switch this instead! :)

Vijitha said...

Moist N perfect!!! temptin one!

Unknown said...

that looks so flufffy and yum

Priya said...

I get that too when I tell ppl I love coffee they immediately think I am a coffee addict! so irritating!
The combo of coffee and walnuts is new to me, will have to try it out :)

viji said...

coffee cake looks yummy... receive friendship award frm my blog

Divya Kudua said...

Hmm..how I would love to have a piece of that cake..;-)have not yet tried coffee flavored cakes..this one is so so tempting!!

Linq said...

Hey Raaga,

This is Alpesh from Linq.in. I loved your blog and I thought I would let you know that your blog has been ranked as the Best Blog of All Time in the Recipes Category

Check it out here Award

Linq tracks posts from Indian blogs and lists them in order of recent interest.
We offer syndication opportunities and many tools for bloggers to use in there
web sites such as the widget below:

Blogger Tools

Alpesh
alpesh@linq.in
www.linq.in

Cynthia said...

I don't think I've ever had a coffee cake and that's just because I am not a coffee lover :)

Malar Gandhi said...

Aromatic Coffee Cake.....you made me to rush to the store now! I am a coffee addict! Cake looks perfect!:)

Priya Suresh said...

Love anything with coffee, can smell the coffee flavour from the cake..looks wonderfully delish...

Meeta K. Wolff said...

I did indeed miss this! I think you might have sent it to the wrong mail address or it landed in my spam - sorry! This looks great. I have now added it to the list!

Unknown said...

Sounds so delicious! I will try that this week. Please go to our website TwiceBakedTwins.com and check out our blog and recipe page.