Google
 

December 27, 2010

Macaroni with Parsley-Peanut Pesto



There was a time I hadn't heard of pesto. Then came the time when I'd heard about it, but knew nothing about it. Then came the time when I first ate it. And then came the present. The time when I've heard about it, I know about it, I've eaten it, I make it and I experiment with different flavours. I've come a long way from asking a friend to bring me pine nuts from the US to using the humble peanut in my pesto.


At one time, I'd substitute pine nuts only with cashews. But I've become a bit more adventurous of late. Any nut and any kind of herb (needn't be a herb) and I've got a pesto going. To make it suitable for a lunch box, I added some mushrooms and some milk.


1 cup Macaroni, Cooked/Boiled with a little oil and salt

1 tbsp Olive Oil
2-3 tbsp Milk
1/2 cup Mushrooms, sliced




For the Parsley Pesto:


1/2 cup Parsley Leaves
1 cube Low Fat Cheese
2 tbsp Roasted Peanuts
2 pods Garlic
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes


Salt and Pepper to taste


Grind together all the ingredients for the pesto.


Drain the pasta and keep aside.


Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Saute the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Add the pesto sauce and fry for a few minutes. Add the milk to get a sauce like consistency. Add the pasta and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.


A meal that comes together in minutes. There's not much chopping involved. And since I use a food processor to grind the pesto, there's no pounding to be done either. This is a perfect recipe for times when you want a nice meal and don't want to slave over the stove too much.

I hope all of you had a good Christmas. Happy Holidays!

11 comments:






Dr.Sameena Prathap
said...

Hey,

Beautiful macaroni with parsley and peanut pesto...Lovely combo..:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

Aparna said...

Personally, I'd leave out the mushrooms and then its the perfect pasta for me. :)

Yes, I understand about the egg replacer, so don't worry. :)

Season's greetings and best wishes for a very happy new year.

WinnyNinny PooPoo said...

Lovely and delicious too!!!

Hari Chandana said...

So tempting and delicious recipe.. amazing click.. Thanks for the recipe


Hari Chandana
Indian Cuisine

quaintkal said...

slurp slurp

vijaya said...

nice alternative to mac n cheese! looks good
http://biyerrecipe.blogspot.com/

Nupur said...

Funny thing is, I live in the US where pine nuts are widely available yet I never use them in pesto because (a) they are very very expensive and (b) they can be rancid and give you "pine nut mouth"! I prefer to use walnuts in pesto. Your version looks delicious!

Priya Sreeram said...

yummy-loved it !

Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal said...

wow, love pesto in any shape or form, beautifully done.

KamalKitchen said...

hey,
never tried peanuts in a pesto..i generally go with almonds or walnuts..this looks really quick and easy.

thanks!
pb

sra said...

Peanut-flavoured pasta! That would be interesting. How are you?