Google
 

December 31, 2009

Super Moist Spiced Chocolate and Beetroot Mini Muffins

Good things come in small packages!


That is how I feel about the year that just went by. It was one of those years when nothing "big" happened. But, all the same, it will be remembered as the year with a lot of "small" events, the sumtotal of which is bigger than any "big" event. It has been a year well spent, surrounded by friends and family right from the word go. We started the year with a long drive and will be ending it with yet another. There were several memorable trips in 2009. Karnal, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Ludhiana, Shekhawati, Kasauli, Allahabad and Varanasi. I also made one trip to Chennai in the middle of summer, while S went to Hyderebad at the same time. We traveled to Mumbai to attend the 5th birthday of my niece. We'll end the year with a drive to Mussoorie and ring in the new year in the company of our closest friends. In 2009, my parents visited us twice and my brother also made two trips. We've hosted the maximum number of parties/informal get togethers in 2009. We hosted the karaoke show on weekends, something we both love doing. I got my first payment from Foodbuzz and will soon receive my very first payment from Adsense. It will be remembered as the year in which I closed my housing loan entirely. It will also be the year in which I walked on hot burning coals for the very first time. The year in which I hit 500 posts on this blog.

Little drops of water

Little grains of sand

Make the mighty ocean

And the pleasant land


This is very true and has been my motto all along. And something tells me that t
hat must have been the inspiration behind the invention of the mini muffin pan. I end this year with these little beauties. Perfect for a little burst of happiness on an otherwise dull day.

1 1/2 cups Flour

1/3 cup Cocoa Powder

3 tsp Baking Powder

1 cup Sugar

a Pinch Salt

1/2 cup Oil

2 Eggs

1 cup Milk

1 cup Grated Beetroot

1 tsp Cinnamon

1/2 tsp Allspice

Icing Sugar to decorate


Sift all the dry ingredients for the muffins together into a food processor jar with the dough blade. Pour in all the liquid ingredients and run the processor for 2 minutes.



Preheat the oven to 350F.


Prepare the mini muffin pans by lining them with paper muffin cases or spraying them with baking spray.



Stir the grated beetroot into the batter and pour into the prepared muffin cases. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Dust with icing sugar.


I hope that all of you had a good 2009. And I hope that you have chosen to dwell on the good more than on the not so good. Life is what we make it and memories are almost always what we choose to remember. Let us remember all the good that 2009 brought us, all the big and small pieces of happiness. And let us wish that 2010 turns out to be a better year. In every way.


Here's to lots of good health and happiness. May you be surrounded by friends, family and everyone and everything you hold dear. That is my New Year Wish for you and yours. Happy New Year 2010!

43 comments:

sra said...

That's such a feel-good post, glad it's one of the first ones I'm reading in the New Year. Happy New Year!

Ashwini said...

Nice way of cherishing the year gone by. Here's wishing you and your fly a very happy new year!! May you bake more muffins and post more baking posts...he he he ....

Pavani said...

Wish you and your family a very Happy & Prosperous New Year.
Muffins look yummy.

Nupur said...

Thanks for participating in the marathon, and wishing you a happy new year!

Champa said...

Interesting combination of beets and chocolate. Must try. Happy new year .

Anonymous said...

Talk about double goodness!Happy New Year!

TBC said...

Here's wishing you and your family the very best in 2010. Hope you have a wonderful year, A!

Siri said...

Lovely post Raaga.. Wishing you many more such moments of happiness and may you have a joyous 2010.

Hugs,
Siri

Linda said...

Happy New Year, Raaga! What you're saying rings so true -- "accentuate the positive" goes the song. Wishing you a bright and wonderful 2010! :)

PS Mini muffins look divine!

Priya Suresh said...

Beautiful muffins, looks beautiful..

Happy 2010 to u & ur family..

Cynthia said...

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Swapna said...

Hi Arundati...

Best wishes for the year ahead :)

Miri said...

Wish you a very Happy New Year - may all your dreams come true!!

Looks like this has been a great year - all those small things must have added up to so much happiness. How nice that you count your blessings - there are so many people who don't.

Miri

Swapna said...

Hi Raaga..

I just know the basics of knitting and crochet... but yeah.. I can claim I know to knit and crochet... I can gladly teach you what I know :)

My Experiments with Food said...

Hi, I loved reading your post. Wish you a very happy 2010!
You are such an expert at baking! I am still to purchase an oven (yes, I still dont have one). Your recipes are sure to be one of the first when I start baking.

Champa said...

Raaga, These muffins look so tempting. Thanks for visiting my space. I was born and brought up in karnataka, but not Konkani. Even though I am a Tamil person, I am more of a kannadiga than a tamilian.

BongMom said...

Happy New Year dear Raaga

FH said...

Happy 2010, Raaga, have a great start for the new year. Muffin with sugar sprinkle looks like out X Mas snow days here. YUM! :))

Malar Gandhi said...

like that catchy phrase 'good things coem in small packages'...this looks marvelous, yummo.

Anonymous said...

Bookmarked this. Show one's gratitude you for sharing. Unequivocally advantage my time.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Ah my "muffin lady" is at it again. :) They look so pretty, really.
Your 2009 was quite memorable and here's wishing you both a wonderful 2010 full of everything you've hoped for an more.

Ranjani said...

Great looking muffins !never thought you could use beetroot in baking desserts:)Happy new year to you and Sachin, hope you both have a fabulous year ahead!

Herrad said...

Hi,
Chocolate and beetroot sounds inspired.
Thanks for sharing.
have a good day today.
Love,
Herrad

Deepa G Joshi said...

never tried mixing beet root and chocolate..too good..the muffins look perfectly baked..

Parita said...

Hey Raaga, muffins look fantastic, truly love your bakes!! I made your christmas fruit cake and it came out fabulous!!! thanks for sharing this million dollar recipe! Wish you a wonderful year ahead!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Raaga. Muffins look lovely with beets.

Jagruti said...

Hey Raaga

First time here...you've got big collection of recipes...

visit if you can

http://joyofcooking247.blogspot.com

cheers

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Hullo Raaga,u have a wonderful blog,am lost in ur world of amazing veggie recipes-infact wen marketing with mom jus to pick stuff so that can cook up as much as possible for taste & create this month ....
U have excellent recipes.Had written to u earlier but missed hearing from ya.
Have a wonderfully cheery day

Krithika said...

Thanks so much for this recipe. Tried this morning. They turned out delicious. Used Vanilla instead of cinnamon. Added some bittersweet choc chips.

Shella said...

Happy New Year Raaga. I mean kudos to you for trying out something like a beet in a cake!!! The colour looks fab

Shella said...

Happy New Year Raaga. I mean kudos to you for trying out something like a beet in a cake!!! The colour looks fab

Anonymous said...

great article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did anyone learn that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.

Master Trainer said...

Hi Raaga,

I am keen on connecting with you since we have just moved to Gurgaon and I am quite at sea here :-(

please contact me on sujjisingh@gmail.com

s said...

Beautiful post...

kathy gori said...

wow! beets and chocolate, that is a combo I will have to try!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I put a post up featuring your wonderful beetroot patties this morning - I will remember these for the next time I end up with beets!

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Hey,
First time here..actually third time since I stopped by to choose a recipe for T&T. Lovely combo. I am replicating this with a slight variation for the event

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Dear,
I tried an eggless version of your fabulous muffins for my mom who happens to be a veggie. She loved it and so did I. Come have a look at it if you can:
http://pangravykadaicurry.blogspot.com/2010/03/recipereplica-spiced-beet-n-cocoa.html

Anonymous said...

Hello Raaga,

First time on your blog and I love your way with words....Your blog is honest, sincere and vrey very straight to the heart words...Shall definitely keep coming and yes, albeit late, wishing you and ur family a wonderful new year 2010!!!

Shobha

Sue of Monty said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful recipe that is simple and great for my kids lunch boxes! I was looking for a bit of a twist from my beetroot and chocolate brownies. What a terrific way of sharing around the world. From Sue (Melbourne, Australia)

Anonymous said...

I just made these and I think I must have done something wrong as the mixture was really runny, like a milkshake. The muffins have risen well but they seem lacking in texture - kind of like a quiche. It seems like more than 1/2 cup of flour should have been used.

Raaga said...

Thanks all.

Mandy, the recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of flour, not 1/2. Sorry about the result.