Google
 

December 29, 2009

Palak Methi Masoor Dal


Winter! I absolutely love this time of the year. Probably not as much for the festive season as for the array of winter vegetables that I see each time I visit the markets. I find fruit and vegetable shops most visually appealing at this time. Summer can be quite depressing as you only mostly see varying shades of green and not the red, yellow, orange, purple and green that you see in winter.


I buy fenugreek leaves and fresh spinach every week and use them in several ways. Some conventional, some very unconventional. One evening, I was pressed for time as I got home almost an hour later than usual and I made this dal to go with rotis. Simple as it was, we were licking our fingers at the end of the meal.


1/2 cup Masoor Dal, pressure cooked with 1.5 cups of water

1/2 cup Fenugreek leaves, chopped

1/2 cup Spinach leaves, chopped

1 tbsp Ghee/Oil

1 Red Chilli

1 tsp Green Chilli Paste

1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste

1 tsp Cumin Seeds

1 tsp Asafoetida

1 Onion, finely chopped

1 tsp Turmeric

1/2 tsp Chilli Powder

Salt to taste


Heat the ghee/oil in a vessel. Add the cumin seeds and asafoetida. When the cumin crackles, add the red chilli, onion, ginger-garlic paste, green chilli paste, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Fry for a couple of minutes. Add the fenugreek and spinach leaves and fry for about 4-5 minutes. Add the cooked dal and bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes and serve hot.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Like dal with greens, love the combo of palak-methi-masoordal. Looks delicious.

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious, healthy dal..

Pavani said...

Simple & easy dal--packed with nutrition.

Manasi said...

I love Methi- palak and any curry made with this combo.
I wish we could get fresh methi here, the other alternative being grow your own which is time consuming.,

Rujuta said...

Hi! I came across your blog thr Nupur's update on marathon.
You have great blog.
I really loved the palak-methi-masoor combo.Simple, tasty yet nutritve.
Best wishes for the marathon

Sarah Naveen said...

Yummy , healthy and delicious Dal..Loved it..

Ashwini said...

Palak Tadka Daal is something I love a lot with hot steaming rice. The taste is so fulfilling...

Kannan said...

I like it very much.