Google
 

January 5, 2009

Panpole




The dosa is my favourite while eating out. For some reason, I almost never order upma at a restaurant. Actually, it is simple. While eating out, I have a simple benchmark to rate the place: me. The deal is that if I can make something better than the chef at the restaurant, then it isn’t worth my while. Idlis can definitely be better at a restaurant as can be dosas, but I think I make a mean upma!


These dosas are very amchi. They have only three ingredients in all, are light and leaf thin and taste absolutely divine with the famous pitti chitni. Amma made this very often when we were kids. We’d put some pitti chitni over the already folded dosas and then spread some ghee. H used to eat each dosa in exactly three bites. That is my strongest memory of this dosa. I think I can now eat one of these in three bites. I choose not to. I take a very long time and savour each bite.


Polo in Konkani means dosa. I am told that the name panpolo (or panpole for plural) comes from the fact that the dosas are leaf thin.


2 cups Rice (Ponni / Sona Masoori)
½ cup Coconut
Salt to taste


Oil for frying


Soak the rice for 4-6 hours. Grind to a fine batter with the coconut and water. Add the salt and enough water to give the batter a consistency that is thicker than milk and much thinner than normal dosa batter.


Heat a well seasoned cast iron tava. Take a ladleful of the batter and splash it over the tava. Tilt the tava to allow the batter to cover any empty spots. (This is not a round dosa, so don’t fret over the shape.) Pour a little oil all around and over the dosa and allow it to cook. When done, fold in half and then fold over once more.


Serve it hot with pitti chitni if you can lay your hands on some. Else, coconut-coriander chutney works very well too.

23 comments:

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I love this one. We call it verumarisi adai. Of course, it helps that there's coconut in it.:)

Cheffie-Mom said...

Wow, very interesting! I'll have to try this out!

Sanghi said...

This is very new recipe for me Raaga. Love coconut, this is delicious! I think i can eat without any side dish chutneys too.. ;)

Red Chillies said...

One of the prettiest looking polo in town :-)) Once I start eating this, it is hard to put a break on it ;-(.

Reeta Skeeter said...

ah this sounds lovely....though have never tasted this version....

I love dosas too!
cheers!
Happy New Year :)

Reeta Skeeter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sig said...

This is kind of like a Kerala bread, I think it is called Neer Pathiri... It used to be my favorite!

Raaga said...

@Aparna: The verumarisi adai that you talk about is what we call "ukde tandla doddak". Very similar, no coconut. Kerala and coastal karnataka... can't be very different.


@Cheffie-Mom: Do try it out. I hope you like it.

Raaga said...

@Sanghi: when hot, this could be yummy as it is

@RC: I agree... it looks so delicate and pretty at times that it is tough to eat :)

Raaga said...

@Reeta: The next time I make this, we shall have them together.

@Sig: Similar to the neer dosa in Karnataka too :-) Somewhere we have similar tastes :-)

Sunshinemom said...

Mine doesn't come out thin, the batter gets caught in clumps - I still need to master the tilting act! Yours looks delicious!

sra said...

I love this - one restaurant here serves it with a mixture of coconut and jaggery. What is pitti chitni?

Usha said...

I have never tried this, but it looks delicate and delicious! Happy New Year to you and your family !

bee said...

i ordered these without fail in the mangy restaurants in south bombay. adore them. wish you a peaceful, delicious 2009.

Anonymous said...

The dosas look soft and luscious! I have to try this recipe sometime this week...will let you know how it works out :)
Happy New Year to you and S! Hope your year is full of good food and happy times.

TheCooker said...

I had paanpole earlier this year...for the firs time.
They were so delicious!
Yours look so soft!
What is pitti chitti?

suvi said...

I had tried these ages ago, but mine were very thick, these look yum! My lil one will totally love these!

Sanghi said...

yummmy recipies raaga. U rock!
Do check my new blog at http://www.sanghi-worldfoodtreat.blogspot.com and leave ur comments.

Uj said...

wow.. panpolo with puddi chatni tastes divine.. Loved the pic... Dosa looks perfect :)

Purnima said...

When young, we had it with honey, later it was always with khola-nonchey which was homemade..oh yum..we make these in coconut oil. Secondly its important step to stir the batter every time before making a dosa so that the settled rice n water on top combines to give that right consistency! I learnt that hard way! :D

Reeta Skeeter said...

wow lovely :D dats so nice of you...

Trendsetters said...

lovely dosas...very fluffy
is this what is called neer dosa?

Raaga said...

TS: I think this like Neer Dosa... with coconut. The one without coconut is called Ukda Tandla Doddak in Konkani