Google
 

August 9, 2009

Rajma Sundal



There are snacks and there are snacks and then there is Sundal. To me sundal has always been a tasty and filling snack. But more than that, it is a guilt free snack. I mean, how many snacks do you know of that would fit the bill here? While I have used kidney beans in a variety of ways. I was surprised to note that I hadn't tasted it in its sundalavatar! I tried it and I was quite impressed.


1 cup Kidney Beans, soaked overnight
1 tsp Oil

7-8 Curry Leaves
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Urad Dal
1/4 tsp Chana Dal
1 tsp Green Chilli Paste
1/4 tsp Ginger Paste
1 Red Chilli
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 tsp Dry Mango Powder (Amchur)
1 tbsp Coconut, scraped
Salt to taste



Pressure cook the soaked kidney beans with salt for 4-5 whistles. Drain when done.



In a kadhai, heat oil. Add the urad and chana dals, mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves, ginger and chilli pastes, and the red chilli. Fry for a minute. Add the cooked kidney beans, dry mango powder, and a little salt. Cover and cook 4-5 minutes. Garnish with the scraped coconut and enjoy.


This is perfect for breakfast, as a snack or even as a side with your meal.

9 comments:

Pari Vasisht said...

Great going with the weekend cooking. Sundal reminds me of my good old days in Chennai. Have never heard a kidney bean sundal but that's all the innovation about.

sra said...

I've tried this. I realise I was just thinking that with beans, it's more a matter of texture than of taste, most of them seem to taste the same to me - neutral

Siri said...

Sundal with red kidney beans, interesting. Right now, I am going through a i-am-bored-with-kidney-beans phase. Once I am done with that, will definitely try this. :)

Hope everything is going good with you.

Best,
Siri

Kitchen Chronicles said...

Healthy sundal and nice idea of using rajma for sundals.

Chitra said...

Looks nice..healthy one !!

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi! Visit my blog and you can pick your awards and a tag from there. I have nominated you for them. Have a great day dear.

Sunshinemom said...

Yeah! I too haven't tasted the sundal avatar. Dunno why, maybe because it basically isn't a SI bean!

Pragyan said...

Lovely! And that adds another item to the menu for my upcoming Satyanarayan puja :)

Anonymous said...

This sounds yummy! I am unfamiliar with some of the ingrediants, but I think I will take the recipe with me to the Indian market in the next town..the man there is always helpful to find all the ingrediants I am after (I loved it when I told him I needed curry leaves and he went in the back and brought me out a bagful that he picked from a friends tree!) I'll share some with my friend who works with an Indian family...I share my Indian dishes with them (my Hubby doesn't care for the flavors) and they always send me back compliments....thank goodness for Indian cooking blogs like yours!
Can you tell me what Satyanarayan puja is....is it a holiday in India?