Google
 

March 5, 2009

Strawberry Kulfi


Strawberries. I had only tasted the artificial srawberry flavour when I was little. I must admit, I liked it very much. When I was about 8, I was introduced to the flavour of real strawberries. I think it must have been ice cream that I ate in the US. I had a lot of trouble accepting the new flavour as "strawberry" even though I liked it. Today, I enjoy both flavours equally. I can still relish a glass of Strawberry Nesquik as much as I enjoy fresh strawberry milkshake.


I made this kulfi when fresh strawberries were in season. I think I made it during the Valentine's Day weekend. I didn't use any artificial colour and as a result, the kulfi looks a bit pale. But it was delicious.


1 litre Milk

1 tbsp Flour

1 cup Strawberry Pulp

1 tin Sweetened Condensed Milk (I used Amul Mithai Mate)


Heat the milk, condensed milk and flour together and bring to a boil. Do this over a low flame and stir continuously as the condensed milk has a tendency to stick to the bottom of the vessel and get burnt. Cool completely. Mix the strawberry pulp into the milk mixture. Fill the kulfi moulds with this mixture and freeze until set. When set, dip the moulds in warm water, unscrew and hold over a plate. The kulfi slides out effortlessly.


This makes a perfect dessert after a nice Indian lunch on a hot afternoon. Try it! And off this goes to Priya as she hosts this month's edition of FIC-Rose/Pink.

24 comments:

FH said...

YUMM-O!! That's a one cool entry for Pink, very nice. I think everybody will be using the Strawberries and Beets for this event including me! :D

Kitchen Chronicles said...

Yummy kulfi. Very right for a hot afternoon after lunch.

Laavanya said...

That looks pretty - always been a fan of kulfis. I'm still waiting for those hot afternoons... :)

Finla said...

I am sure going to make this kulfi in may when the strawberry season is here.
I too only ever had artificial strawberry flavour when i was little, my first fresh strawberry was ate when i came here.

Cham said...

That is a great entry, Love kulfi :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

I never like strawberry falvoured anyhthing and this is the first year that I've discovered a liking for the fruit.
Have to get myself some kulfi moulds on my next trip out.:)

Reeta Skeeter said...

yumeee!!!!

Trupti said...

Kulfi looks very delicious Raga

Uma said...

looks so yummy! Nice color.

Unknown said...

That is sure pretty n yumm! And Raaga how have you been? Long time since I checked out your recipes.

suvi said...

looks perfect!!

A_and_N said...

Lovely entry.

Indian Khana said...

Perfect kulfi...never mind the colour dear...it's pinkish enouf to make us drool here :)

Divya Kudua said...

Pinky kulfi looks so pretty...I have tasted only Kesar kulfi till now..was not much a fan of strawberry..in fact,thats one ice cream flavour which I am not so fond of.But guess what,I just made your strawberry cake and had it warm..too good,simply loved the chunks of strawberries in every bite..keep posting such simple and do-able recipes!!

RustyNeurons said...

I love this kulfi! This post has inspired me enough to want to buy kulfi mould. Any clue where I can get? Btw, I too live in G'gaon.

Anonymous said...

I can never bite in Real strawberry,but give me some strawberry shake or icecream and i am all yours(till i finish dessert)
Kulfi looks so perfect and cute pink

Priya Suresh said...

WOw raaga, thanks for sending this delicious kulfi for FIC..Great job:)

luckysanjana said...

hi , i thin the kulfi looks great pale........i dont think it would have looked that interesting if it was brigher red.....It looks perfect. Temme is that all just bring the milk mix to a boil and then let it cool.....dont you have to simmer it a bit????

Unknown said...

wow looks perfect and nice color

Namratha said...

Wow, Strawberry Kulfi, the first I've seen. Must keep a lookout for Strawberry pulp now :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

thatz just delicious .. loved the srtawberry flavour

Dibs said...

oh very nice! it does not look pale ..in fact it looks great. better natural, than adding food colours!

Swapna said...

I didn't tasted strawberry kulfi. Will try this soon :) lovely entry.

Raaga said...

Wow... I am glad all of you loved this entry. It is great and we're savouring it slowly. I served this again at a dinner party last evening. The colour is a bit pale but the taste is just great.

@Rusty Neurons: You should get the molds in Vyapar Kendra/Arjun Marg Market or Needs in DLF IV. Any bartan shop will have them.

@LuckySanjana: I didn't simmer it... the flour helped it thicken I think.

@Namratha: I just blended the strawberries to a puree. Didn't buy pulp as such. :)