Google
 

April 28, 2008

Garlic Baby Potatoes



Baby potatoes... I find them extremely cute. I find them a big pain to peel, but hey, the things we do for... love? cuteness? food?

Food is the most likely answer. We buy bags of baby potatoes every once in a while as S promises to make me some Tatties. He made them once when I had no clue how to take decent pictures. And after that, I’ve just done whatever comes to my mind with the potatoes.

This is something my aunt made for us and as kids, we used to get pretty kicked about the dish. It is about as simple as side dishes get (once you’ve peeled all the little ones).



250 g Baby Potatoes, boiled and peeled
1 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
¼ tsp Asafoetida
1 tbsp Garlic Paste
1-2 tsp Chilli Powder
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt to Taste

Heat the oil in a kadhai. Add the cumin seeds and asafetida. When the cumin seeds crackle, add the garlic paste, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Fry this paste for a couple of minutes. Add the baby potatoes and salt. Mix well. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Cook uncovered for another 2-3 minutes.

Serve hot with rotis or rice and dal.


God must lie in the simple joys of life.

16 comments:

Srivalli said...

Hey thats lovely looking dish!...

and yes send them soon..let me know how many days you want!...

and is that your hand written letter to arundati??..looks great!..:)

Raaga said...

@Valli: Yes... I'll post one tomorrow and one more day after :-)

That is my handwriting :-)

Sig said...

That is one darn cute dish..... :)

evolvingtastes said...

I love baby potatoes (no chopping!), and since they are thin skinned I don't peel them either. Usually a good scrub to clean them well is all I do.

TBC said...

Love potatoes in any form! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love baby potatoes. This looks so yummy.

Ranjani said...

Those look really fiery! yummmmm....)

Suganya said...

You peel baby potatoes? They are delicate. And why go thru' all that trouble :D

Raaga said...

Hey girls :-) the bag of baby potatoes we get here will require scrubbing for over an hour... believe me when I say its simpler (for me) to peel :-))

Thanks for all the comments!

Arundathi said...

That looks delicious Raaga - it's almost lunch time and I'm getting hungry just looking at these...

Anonymous said...

Tatties na yenna?

Miri said...

Looks delicious - simple and satisfying....I like baby potatoes best unpeeled. I know they have to be really scrubbed well, but soaking then for an hour or so helps in removing all the gunk - and the taste of those shrivelled crispy skins with the smooth flesh inside is marvellous!

BTW, you get cream cheese spread quite easily here (look for Kraft) but the Vanilla bean i got from the Auroville store in Chennai - maybe it is available in the Aurobindo store here too?

Kalai said...

Now those are my kind of potatoes!! Gorgeous and adorable, Raaga! :)

TNL said...

I'll have those jusy by themselves.....they are so yummy!

trupti

priya said...

Lovely.......i wud def try this one out!...looks spicy n yummy!

Anonymous said...

that looks so yummy, will definitely try....
-Vidhya