Google
 

April 29, 2008

Eggless Chocolate Cake



This is really the simplest cake I have ever made. It is eggless, has just 5 spoons of oil, takes less than 10 minutes from flour to baked product and can me made in a basic microwave oven. The best part is that the people who eat it will “assume” that you toiled for hours to get this cake ready.


I have made this many times in the past and the result has always been “Wow!” I’d been pushing
Srivalli to announce cakes for her MEC and finally she did. I think I was drowning in that thing called work and I’d managed to come up for a gasp of air before the sheer force took me in once again and there – I saw the announcement. I thought I was going to miss the bus yet again and then I caught her online and pleaded with her to extend the deadline. And she did.


So without making her wait any further, let me post the recipe for this microwave cake that is definitely a keeper.


1 1/2 cups Flour

3 tbsp Cocoa Powder

1 tsp Baking Soda

1 cup Powdered Sugar

5 tbsp Oil

1 tsp Vanilla Essence

1 tbsp White Vinegar

1 cup Milk


Sift the dry ingredients together. Add the liquid ingredients. Blend well. Pour into a greased 8 inch microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 5-7 minutes. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.


Your cake is ready. While baking, you could top it with some cashews and brown sugar, coconut and sugar... or just about anything you like.


Chocolate cakes work best in pureplay MW ovens as they don't need to brown on top. A vanilla cake bakes just as well, but the top remains whitish brown. And when one doesn't frost the cake, it looks a little odd. Another thing to note while baking a cake in a MW is to never flour the pan after greasing. The rationale is that the flour-fat mixture actually gets cooked!

17 comments:

Srivalli said...

wow..that looks real yummy!..its my pleasure to showcase this beautiful cake, I would waited for this to land..thanks for taking time to send this across...appriciate it!

Srivalli said...

and yes those are some excellent tips!..

Anonymous said...

Good tips there...was it soft enough? I don't mind even if not actually, i could always dip it in some milk and yenjay!!!

Ranjani said...

This looks deceptively easy!
I will try this over the weekend for my bff, it's her birthday and she has egg allergies.
Maybe 'll try to ice with chocolate ganache once it cools down.
Thanks for sharing! will let you know how it turns out.

EC said...

Quite an easy and quick one indeed

AnuZi said...

OOOOO You had me at chocolate. But chocolate cake combo I'm in heaven! Great share lady :o)

Anonymous said...

This recipe is such a lifesaver, when you need to churn out a cake in a jiffy. Just tried in the morning. Pretty good texture for a MW cake. Thanks a lot

Raaga said...

Thanks girls... this is a great cake... and Rashmi, you actually tried it out. Yeah... it is a little dense, but its great!!

Anonymous said...

babes....i just needed this....had quite a disaster with one mw cake i tried this week.....am making this like right after dinner

KayKat said...

Ooo ... my mum used to make something similar when we were kids. Now you've gotten onto the nostalgia bandwagon :)

*so* good!

Aarti said...

Hey gurl

what a coincidence.. me too made a choc cake( with a friend, for her hubb)... only diff between our cakes is that ours had milkmaid and butter, but took abt 10mins in all to make n bake.. looked yummy, yet to dig in... :)

btw, why vinegar????

Raaga said...

@Arundati - I was half asleep when your message came last night... sorry if the message was curt. I hope your cake came out well.

@Kaykat - memories... they're flowing full time this time of year!

@Aarti - Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or die... what can I say?

Ranjani said...

I made this cake this evening, and LOVED it!Super easy, and very little clean up, thanks so much for sharing! I blogged about it, so check out the link when you get a chance.
http://wakeupandsmellthemasala.blogspot.com/2008/04/raagas-10-minute-eggless-cake.html

Arundathi said...

thats sounds delicious and super easy babe - gonna try it - have everything but the vinegar...

Anonymous said...

Cake May Turn Out Hard After Some time...
To prevent
1. Use Desi Ghee Instead Of oil
2. Place Bowl With Ingredients In Another Bowl Filled With Water...
This Prevents Cake To get Hardened From Sides..

3. After Removing From Microwave...Keep Cake As It IS for Max Time...

Dont Hurry To Cut....Cae Will Turn Out Soft...

Devi nair said...

hi raga!!! i am compltely new to the world of baking...but wanted to try out something really simple and delicious for starters and ur choco cake is just that.... simple and perfect for bigners like me.... just a small doubt... is it ok if i use baking powder instead of baking soda... if yes then what should be the measurement of baking powder??? thank u and just cant to wait to try this yummy choco cake

Raaga said...

Devi: I think you can try with baking powder. I am no expert and have usually followed this recipe as it is