Google
 

June 27, 2007

Payatham Paruppu Kuzhambu (Green Gram Dal Sambar)



I have never been able to figure out why this dish is called kuzhambu. But for some reason it is. And this dish always found its way to our dining table on Monday nights.

I couldn't find the toor dal packet and so I decided to use the dal that I did find. It made for a simple meal with the Beetroot Chutney I tried out and some rice. Of course, between my mother and my mother-in-law, they make sure we are well stocked on pickles and podis.



Ingredients:


1/2 cup Moong Dal (Green gram Dal), washed

1/2 tsp Ginger Paste

1/2 tsp Chilli Paste

1 tsp Oil

1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

7-8 Curry Leaves

1 Tomato, chopped

Juice of 1 lime

Salt to Taste


Cook the dal in a pressure cooker with the ginger and chilli pastes using 1 cup of water. Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves and the chopped tomato. Fry this for a minute or two. Add the cooked dal, salt and a little water. Bring this mixture to a boil. Add the lime juice to this once you have taken the vessel off the stove.


This is much lighter on the stomach than toor dal and though simple, it makes for a hearty meal.

8 comments:

Lata said...

I never heard about this before. GO to try.

Sharmi said...

hey I thought you belong to north India but you are a Tamilachi right?
you look very cute in that picture:)
the sambar is very impressive.

FH said...

Dal I would like to have some right now girl!:))

Suganya said...

So u hail from Tamilnadu? You look very cute in that pic :)

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi raaga,
u have got a cute name.Ur paruppu kolumbu is awesome,my hubby's fave.Thanks for sharing.


http://priars.blogspot.com

Cynthia said...

I too like the name of your blog - what a combination, music and food! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog, your visit is welcome and I hope that you come back.

I've added you to my feeds so that I don't miss your posts.

Raaga said...

@Lata: It is so easy, I can't tell you!

@Sharmi: I am a "cocktail". I am half konkani and half tamil :-) and am married to a telugu :-) and both of us now live in Delhi. And I have spent time all over the country.

@Asha: Book a flight and come over. Full meal awaits :-)

@Suganya: I spent the first 20 years of my life in Madras :-) and I have family roots there :-)

@Priar's: It turned out to be my husband's favourite too.

@Cynthia: Thanks. I'll add you too :-) And yeah, I love music and singing :-)

Raaga said...

And thanks all of you for the lovely compliments :-)