Google
 

June 8, 2007

Mammidikaya Pulihaara (Raw Mango Rice)



Puliyodarai at my place is made just one way. Amma makes puli kachal and a podi to sprinkle over the rice. Whenever we are in the mood for yummy puliyodarai, Amma dishes it out. I love eating it with avial. That's one of my favourite combinations of "festival food". I've eaten Puliyogare in Bangalore that is semi sweet and has khopra (dried coconut) as part of it. I've eaten Puli saadam (Tiger Rice) at hostel.



When I moved to Hyderabad 4 years ago, I heard about nimmakaya pulihaara. I thought it was some fancy dish until I realized it was the telugu name for our very own lemon rice. Then someone at office said, "I've brought puliyodarai for you today. Only I made it with mangoes." I was super shocked. I had never eaten rice and raw mangoes before. The maximum extent that I had gone to was to eat Manga Thokku with rice and Avakaya with rice. But hey, I was never averse to trying something new. And I did. It was quite nice.



A couple of weeks ago, we'd invited some friends over and I decided to make this instead of Sambar Rice as that is easily available in any south indian restaurant in Delhi. I try to serve food that is not so easily available, especially when my guests are not south indians. Actually, even if they are, I do the same.


I started to make this and then somewhere in between, S took over. And then he forgot he was cooking and the tadka got burnt a little. But then, so what? It came out quite nice and we all ate it with relish.



Ingredients:


2 medium raw mangoes, grated.


1 cup Rice, cooked


2 tbsp Oil


1 tsp Mustard Seeds


1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds


1/4 tsp Asafoetida


2-3 Red Chillies


1/4 cup Peanuts


1 tsp Black Gram Dal


1 tsp Chana Dal


1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder


7-8 Curry Leaves


Coriander Leaves for Garnish


Salt to taste



In a kadhai, heat the oil. Add all the ingredients from mustard through Chana Dal. When the mustard splutters and the dals have browned, add the curry leaves, grated raw mango, salt and turmeric powder. Cook this for a while and then mix the cooked rice in this mixture. Garnish with coriander leaves and eat with vadams or appalams.


I'm finally on Food Blog Desam. Thanks Mathy and Indira. I have not forgotten my plan to get into DH.


I'm also on Jenn's Foodie Blog Roll. Those of you who are interested in joining either of these should go right ahead.

9 comments:

Roopa said...

delicious looking mango rice!

Raaga said...

Thanks Roopa. Our first attempt :)

ushaprashanth said...

Hi!
The recipe is very easy to make!

Seema Bhat said...

Quick and easy mango rice urf mango chitranna. I can actually imagine the tangy taste of the mango. Loved it.

TNL said...

I just love the name of your blog.....its so cute!

Nice recipe...I love the tangy flavor of the mangoes in this.

:)
trupti

Sharmi said...

I too have made a mango pulihara in my blog. tastes yum isn't it?
regarding AFAM, you have time till 25th. so take your time and bring me a lovely recipe.

FH said...

Very nice I love Puliyogarai as we call it.Love your variation with Mango.YUM!Thanks.

Pretty Woman said...

interesting! have recommended ur blog to anna coz he loves this kinda 'different'food...btw, why no comments on my blog? dont read?

Suganya said...

Simple recipe. Easy to try too..