Google
 

June 15, 2007

Coriander Mint Tomato Chutney






If it is bread I must eat in the morning, then I can probably have it with jam or jelly once a week. The rest of the time I need something salty/spicy. Again, as I put up with GERS, I cannot have spicy food in general, and definitely not in the morning. So, I eat toast with leftovers, with "pitti chitni", a very typically konkani gun powder, with pitlay, or chutney.

Just about the time I moved to Bangalore from Hyderabad, a colleague and friend, Priya, invited me to stay over. She and her husband, Arun, treated me to a nice dinner at Little Italy. The next morning Priya set out to make breakfast. She has this cute little kitchen garden and grows herbs and even baby tomatoes. She just went out there and picked up a little of this, a little of that... maybe this would go well too... oops, what about that one there... in they all went ...into the blender and what came out was a tasty spread.

So, this recipe is thanks to her.

Ingredients:
1 Cup Coriander Leaves

1/4 cup Mint Leaves

2 pods of Garlic

1 Tomato

1 green Chilli

1" piece of Ginger

Salt to taste




Grind all the ingredients to a coarse paste in a mixer. Eat it with just about anything. The tomato adds the tang to this chutney where lime juice usually does the trick. I spread it on toast and the bread went down faster than it usually does.


I am sending this to Trupti at The Spice Who Loved Me for WBB # 12 : Spice it Up! as my second entry. Trupti has recently been invited to be a guest writer on the Food Network of Canada's food blog. Congratulations Trupti!

4 comments:

TNL said...

Thanks so much for this entry, what a lovely chutney, you know,I make a sandwich out of this, I put some of this green chutney, and a cheese slice and then grill it....its so good!

thanks for your wishes!

Cheers, trupti

Raaga said...

Hey Trupti,

I do that too... makes sandwiches so much tastier than if we just used butter!!

Raaga said...

Hey Trupti,

I do that too... makes sandwiches so much tastier than if we just used butter!!

Amruthavarshini said...

Hey! Good to see the family favourite hitting the blogs - Amma will be thrilled...

Hugs, Priya