Google
 

February 7, 2009

Kadgi Tori Ghasshi


Of late, Amma doesn't seem to cook that many amchi dishes. I figured this was because she only has to cook for two people. Appa has very limited tolerance for spices. What's amchi cooking without the fiery heat of bedgi chillies. Moreover, Appa seems to like typical Iyengar food and stuff like Italian and Chinese. It is not that he won't eat the other stuff, these would be his preference.


So I am not partial to either of them. One morning, I decided to cook some amchi food. Of the four members in the house at this point, three love this cuisine. So, whyever not? I had asked Amma to bring some more Pigeon Peas (Tori) from Bombay. When I get fresh stock of things I don't get in Delhi/Gurgaon, I am tempted to use them right away.


250g Raw Jackfruit, cut and cooked

1/2 cup Pigeon Peas (Tori/Tuvar), soaked overnight and cooked

2 tbsp Scraped Coconut

3-4 Red Chillies

1 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds

1 tbsp Tamarind Paste (Add more or less to taste)

Salt to taste

1 tsp Oil


For the tempering:

1 tsp Oil

2-3 Garlic Pods, crushed


For a no onion/garlic version, use this tempering:

1 tsp Oil

1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

7-8 Curry Leaves



Heat the oil in a small kadhai and fry the chillies and coriander seeds. Grind this together with the tamarind paste and coconut. Add a handful of cooked pigeon peas to this and grind to a paste.


In a vessel, combine the cooked pigeon peas, jackfruit, the paste and salt. Add some water to this and bring to a boil.


In a frying ladle, heat the oil, add the garlic pods. If using the other tempering, heat the oil and add the
mustard seeds and asafoetida, and when the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves. Add the tempering to the ghasshi and serve hot.



P.S.: Amchi is an abbreviation for "amchigele" which is how konkani people refer to the language (and other people who speak the language).

14 comments:

Cham said...

I never tasted raw jackfruit curry but seen quiet a few dishes recently. I imagine the raw fruit gives a nice crunch! Looks delicious!

FH said...

Hello fellow dragon, we are doing well so far, aren't we? ;D

Oh, another Jackfruit and Toor beans combo, so yum. I will try this, love the raw jackfruit, can't wait for the this round up too.

Watching "The secret life if Bees" movie right now, just checked the all the comments quickly! :))

A_and_N said...

Wow, the byadgi chillies remind me o my Pati's cooking :)

Never tasted this. Dunno if I will get jackfruit here. hmmm...

Bong Mom said...

What is "amchi" something Mumbaiya ?

Poonam said...

this is my favourite and this dish reminds me of car festival in mangalore where we used to wait to get the jackfruit!!

Vibaas said...

wow that looks yum. completely new to me. what is amchi, btw? forgive my ignorance :)

Andhra Flavors said...

for a long back i heard abt jackfruit curry but never tried this. will try this soon ..

Deepa said...

WHat would be a substitute you'd recommend for jackfruit - since I can't find it here...?
THanks. Deepa

Raaga said...

@Cham: Do try it. If you find jackfruit...:)

@Ashakka: Yeah... more in common :-) Tell me how the movie is.

Raaga said...

@A&N: I remember reading your Pati was from Karnataka :)

@Sandeepa: I added a brief... its just how konkani people refer to one another.

Raaga said...

@Poonam: I am reminded of the Ganpati festival celebrations in Madras :)

@Vibaas: Yeah, this is typical konkani cooking.

Raaga said...

@AF: You should try this then.

@Deepa: Just omit the jackfruit :-)

Anonymous said...

Jack-fruit has always a favourite. But somehow wifey doesn't like cooking it. It is actually not part of cuisine we have at home in our native Haryana. Thanks for sharing.

Uj said...

I am missing home.. :( the jackfruit looks so tempting. Wish I could get my hands on it..Looks yummy