Google
 

June 25, 2008

Capsicum Semia Upma

I have talked often about my undying love for upma. It is funny how I don’t make it very often anymore. I think that’s what blogging does to me. I want to make newer stuff so that I can update my blog and thanks to that, I forget about my favourite foods. Because I’ve already blogged about them, I don’t bother to make them. Have you faced this too?


Anyway, here’s a simple breakfast number that doubles up as a lunch or dinner number when you’re rushed for tim
e. It combines two of my favourites, capsicum and upma, in one dish.




1 cup Roasted Vermicelli

1 Onion, finely chopped

1 Capsicum, finely chopped

1 tsp Chilli Powder

1 tsp Turmeric Powder

1 tsp Oil

1 tsp Cumin Seeds

1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds

1/4 tsp Asafoetida

Salt to taste



Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard, asafoetida and cumin seeds. When the mustard splutters, add the onions and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped capsicum and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Add the roasted vermicelli along with a cup of hot water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.


This is off to me for the WBB: Express Breakfasts.

11 comments:

FH said...

I love the color of Upma, must be the good quality chilli pd. Great breakfast Raaga!:)

Laavanya said...

I'm a big fan of semia upma... adding capsicums is a nice touch.

Rajitha said...

yum! i love semia upma too...it does get hard to make the usual as i feel every dish i make can be blogged about..so i rarely make my faves anymore :(

Kalai said...

Semiya upma is something that I love, too, Raaga! Bell peppers are one of my favorites and this dish looks really yummy! :)

Divya Kudua said...

hmmm..semia upma is my fave..adding capsicum is a nice twist,does it taste somewhat like hakka noodles..;-)will try it out surely!!
btw,am still lagging behind my post for wbb,shall try and post it soon.
so true abt the blogging thng,its funny whn hubby asks me to prepare somthng,i tell him"oh i've already blogged abt that,somthng else pls"hehe.and hey,i tried your molagapodi appeys,oh my,it came out too good!!shall post it soon!!

Bharti said...

Never knew that there was something called "Semia Upma". I always thought upma was made of suji.
Looks pretty good!

Raaga said...

@Ashakka: I use kashmiri chilli as I can't take too much spice :-) Thanks :-)

@Laav: I really loved the combo too. Thanks :-)

Raaga said...

@Rajitha: OK, one more thing in common :-)

@Kalai: Try it please

Raaga said...

@Divya: Time hai abhi... send it in :-) This is an indianised hakka noodles

@Bharti: If you spend enough time on my blog, you'll notice that I can make upma with anything under the sun :-) But semia upma is hugely popular.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I came across your blog today, and have been hooked ever since. What makes it more exciting is the generous use of Konkani words! I'm a Konkani born & brough up in Chennai! Kudos to you & the lovely blog! Happy cooking!
Sneha
(Darn these office networks don't let me login)

sra said...

I'm an upma lover too! There are only a few of us around, I think - almost everyone I know says yuck at the very mention of it, rava or semia!