Google
 

May 9, 2014

Instant Mango Pickle




When you're a food blogger, people expect certain things from and of you. They expect you to know recipes for many/most dishes. They expect you to tell them what they can substitute and sometimes also what they need to do to fix something that has gone horribly wrong. I have to admit I don't always have answers. I usually follow a recipe that I have. Often enough, I tweak it. If it works, it comes on to the blog. If it doesn't, it is simply forgotten.

Two summers ago, a friend wrote to me saying she was craving a certain type of mango pickle. Would I happen to know how to make it? Or could I ask my mother who would be bound to know about this? Amma and Appa were visiting me then and I decided I should ask Amma for the recipe.

Considering how I almost never eat pickles, Amma was a tad bit shocked that I was asking her for a recipe. However, she gave me the recipe and this pickle is now an annual feature in my kitchen.

1 cup Raw Mango, diced into 1/2" cubes
3 tsp Chilli Powder (I use Kashmiri Chilli Powder)
2-3 tsp Salt (according to taste)
2 tsp Oil (I use Gingelly/Sesame/Til Oil)
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder

Add salt, turmeric and chilli powder to the mango pieces and mix well. 

Heat the oil in a tempering ladle. Add the mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard splutters, let the oil cool. Then add the tempering to the pickle.


On a dry griddle/tawa,  heat the fenugreek seeds and toast for a few minutes. Grind to a powder when cool with some turmeric powder. Add this to the pickle.


Enjoy in a variety of ways: With Tayir Saadam or Narlya Kheeri.





This is a fresh pickle which does not keep for very long. I store it in the fridge and use it up within a week or so. I hope you enjoy some of my simple pleasure this summer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Raaga Your immense food enthusiasm motivated me to tell about www.plattershare.com which aims to bring all the food lovers like foodies, home chefs, professional chefs, food bloggers, cooking instructors or restaurants together on one platform.You can create your profile to maintain your recipes and network with others to gain online visibility. Do check our website and like the FB page https://www.facebook.com/plattershare to share journey of food love!

Anonymous said...

Love the pic of the creamy curd rice and the mango pickle....Remember summers when we were kids, this was our staple!

Shobha