Google
 

October 12, 2012

Baked Sweet Potato Fries


 
 
I'd never seen these orange sweet potatoes before we moved here. In India, I only saw the ones with the purplish pink skin and yellowish white flesh. Those would have spots that would somehow turn black once I cut them. So, when I saw the orange fleshed ones here, I fell in love with them instantly. They looked just like the stuff I'd seen in my cookbooks, they weren't as sweet as the ones back home, and they didn't get those black spots. I use them quite often in my cooking.
 
I followed the same technique as for baked potato wedges, but I cut the sweet potatoes into fries. (One must at least feel that they are eating fries!) These fries also double up as toddler finger food. Very good for a child who wants to hold his or her own food and act all grown up.
 


 
I followed the same method for the adult and the baby versions, varying only the spices.
 
2 Sweet Potatoes, parboiled, peeled and cut into fries
2 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Chilli Flakes
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste

For the toddler version, I used paprika, garlic powder and salt.
 
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
 

Heat the oil and butter in a saucepan. Add the parsley, basil and chilli flakes (or paprika) and fry for a minute. Add the garlic powder and fry another minute. Add the sweet potato, salt and pepper (optional for toddlers). Toss the wedges in the spice mixture. Transfer to a baking sheet. Place it in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.

Enjoy these hot. I tried these again recently with purple fleshed sweet potatoes and we all loved them. Nature has put so much into these sweet potatoes that this cannot even be termed an indulgence. Moderation, of course, is key.

3 comments:

Nupur said...

I have seen this recipe on so many blogs now, I am dying to try it pout.. Thiw eekend should be it :)

Thaks fo rreminding me of my works ;)

Hari Chandana P said...

Woww.. Yummy !!
Indian Cuisine

Prema said...

Healthy fry,loved it...