Google
 

November 9, 2010

Spinach and Cheese Pasta



As an adult, I developed a taste for stuff that I almost always turned up my nose at as a child. Pasta is one of them. Considering how often pasta finds its way into our meals, it feels like my childhood must have been part of another life.

The inspiration for this dish comes from one of the baked dishes I tried almost a decade ago in Madras. It comes together very easily, especially if you always have a stash of processed vegetables in your freezer. For this recipe, I used the Whole Wheat Pasta from Fabindia. I've been hooked to this ever since I tried it for the first time.

1 cup Whole Wheat Elbow Macaroni
1 cup Spinach, chopped and steamed for 5-7 minutes
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Flour
1 cup Milk
1/2 tsp Parsley
1/2 tsp Basil
1 tsp Chilli flakes
1/2 tsp Garlic Paste
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 slice Low Fat Cheese

Boil the macaroni according to the instructions on the pack.

Heat the butter in a saucepan. Add the spinach and fry for a minute. Add the garlic paste, parsley, basil and chilli flakes and fry for another minute. Add the flour and fry without browning the flour. Add the milk and bring the mixture to a boil while stirring continuously. Add the cheese at this point and stir the sauce well. As the sauce thickens, add the salt and pepper. Add the macaroni and serve hot.

I served this with some garlic toast. A quick dinner. Simple, yet wholesome.

13 comments:

junoesque said...

kiddo will love this am sure...cheers !!

Raaga said...

Do let me know Juno!

Priya Suresh said...

SOoo cheesy and droolworthy pastas..

Divya Kudua said...

Yum..I can almost taste this..def on my must-try list.Pasta in FabIndia?Thats a news..I don't look beyond the Kurtas!!!

Raaga said...

Thanks Priya, let me know if you try it.

Divya: I almost never bought clothes there... jams, pastas and lots of furniture and home accessories

Unknown said...

Hey Raaga,

Love the pasta...Just followed you...Love the tilt..Singing chef!!:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

Hari Chandana P said...

Looks so tempting and perfect.. nice click too :)

Sharmi said...

Hey Raaga, After long time here:)Though I am not a great pasta lover I liked the combi!
Thanks for the tips regarding the kalkandu. Ya I started frying a lot these days. You got me there:)

Nupur said...

Pasta and garlic toast...my two favorite food groups ;) That meal looks delicious, Raaga.

Pavani said...

Cheesy pasta looks delicious. I'm the only one at home who loves cheesy pasta, my husband and son don't like them much :-( I'll have to make this for myself soon. Thanks for sharing.

Prathima Rao said...

Alwayz love d combi of pasta wid spinach!!Urs looks delicious..

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

hope you had a great Diwali Raaga. the cheesy pasta looks delish.

AJ said...

Looks super!!