Google
 

December 10, 2007

Punjabi Kadhi Pakoda


There are cookbooks and then there are cookbooks. And then there's this book called Favourite Vegetarian Dishes. I have talked about this book often as I have tried out several recipes. I found this recipe for "Dumplings in Yogurt Sauce" and was intrigued. One look and I knew I had the recipe for Kadhi Pakoda. Why would I use a British book printed in China to make a dish that is as local to Saddi Dilli as the Idli is to Madras? Because I found it in a book I trust. I'd marked Anita's recipe to make at home, but couldn't open my machine that morning. So, I made this to go with rice. Many Punju colleagues of mine tasted this and said they couldn't tell it was the first time I'd made it. S called from work and said his colleagues said this was much better than the dabbawalla's stuff and as good as the stuff made in their homes.






I quite liked it and think of it as a lovely way to use of sour curd. I have, in the recent past, made all the dishes I know of that help use up sour curds: Punjabi Kadhi, Gujarati Kadhi, Mor Kuzhambu and Avial. I enjoyed this stuff while growing up, but had my own reservations about making them. I am glad they all turned out great and I'll be posting them one by one.


Pakodas (Dumplings):

2/3 cup Gram Flour

1 tsp Chilli Powder

1/2 tsp Baking Soda

1 Onion, finely chopped

1 tsp Green Chilli Paste

2 tbsp Coriander Leaves, chopped

Salt to Taste

Oil for frying


Kadhi:

1 1/4 cups Curd/Yogurt

3 tbsp Gram Flour

2/3 cup Water

1 tsp Ginger Paste

1 tsp Garlic Paste

1 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder

1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder

1 tsp Coriander Powder

1 tsp Cumin Powder


Seasoning:

1 tbsp Oil

1 tsp Cumin Seeds

4 Red Chillies


To make the dumplings, mix the gram flour with the chilli powder, salt, baking soda, onions, green chilli paste, and coriander leaves. Add enough water to form a thick batter. Heat the oil and drop spoonfuls of the batter into it. Fry until golden brown, turning once. Drain on absorbent paper.







To make the kadhi, whisk the curds with the gram flour and water. Add all the spices and salt and mix well. Bring this mixture to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.


For the seasoning, heat the oil in a frying ladle and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the red chillies and take off the flame.


To proceed:

Add the fried pakodas to the kadhi. Add the seasoning and serve hot with rice.


I really enjoyed this dish and I am certain I will not be ordering this at a restaurant. If I feel the urge, I'll make some for myself, right here, at home.


I am home with a nasty cold and fever. I hope to get well real soon and be back in full swing. I've been missing all of you.

18 comments:

amna said...

We get this very often in office. Looks nice.

Get well soon, take care.

Miri said...

Sounds delicious - I love curd based dishes and am most happy when there is extra curd which gies sour (or not!)
Avial, Mor Kozhambu, Kadhi - love them all.

Padmaja said...

Raaga
That looks fantastic and so yummy!!!

EC said...

nice dish to use up sour curds...get well soon

Shivapriya said...

Nice looking kadhi.

Sig said...

Get well soon sweetie, take care of yourself...
Love anything with sour curd, and the dumplings look yummy in the gravy...

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Raga
Get well soon...

yummmy dish !!!

Kribha said...

Looks very good. Hope you feel better soon.

Richa said...

my fav for the wknds, kadi-chawal :)looks good.
hmm the bug's reached there, take care.

Sagari said...

thats my favvvvv

Namratha said...

Looks very delicious Raaga, I've bookmarked it to try, never made kadi before..

Swaroopa said...

looks gr8!! very tastey & healthy too...

Shella said...

I love kadhi, but have never been able to get it right. Though it tastes good, but the texture is of a custard, especially once its beginning to cool down. Will try out your recipe

Ranjani said...

That kadhi looks devine!
I miss Delhi:(

Anonymous said...

This is nice blog to visit,you have done a good job and your representation very effective.Nice dish thanks for that.

Pauline said...

Yum! I tried this for the first time from Veetee's microwave packs, and it was surprisingly good. I really wanted to learn to make it myself. Yours looks delicious and must be ten times as good as something pre-packaged. Thanks for the recipe!

Carpe Diem! said...

Hey Raaga,

Isn't it a small world?You were my HR Dr in Hyderabad and today I am in US looking for kadhi pakoda recipe online and I see yours :).How have you been?

vini said...

Hi,
I made this.It was very tasty.thanks

Vini