Google
 

November 8, 2010

Poondu Thuvayal





Garlic. While many people I know would turn their noses up at this bulb, S and I are two of a kind, the other kind. Yes, we'd both firmly fall into the "Mad about garlic" club. A few months ago, S was unwell and his mother said that garlic would help. So, I sat and peeled an entire bulb. (Now I know it will be a long time before I have to sit down and peel an entire bulb. At least I have access to ready peeled garlic here.)

In one weekend, I made several dishes using garlic. I never did really find out if it cured S of his cold and congestion, but we did have one great meal after another.

One of these dishes was the simple thuvayal featuring garlic. 



1/2 cup Garlic cloves, peeled and roughly diced
1 tsp Oil
3-4 Red Chillies
2 tsp Urad Dal
1/2 tbsp Tamarind paste
Salt to taste


For the tempering:
1 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
7-8 Curry Leaves


In a small pan, heat the other teaspoon of oil and add the urad dal. When it turns slightly brown, add the red chillies and fry for a minute. Add the garlic and saute for 5-7 minutes. Grind this mixture along with the tamarind paste and salt.
In a frying ladle, heat the oil for the tempering. Add the mustard. When the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves. Add this to the ground paste.

Mix the thuvayal with some rice. Add a little ghee if need be. Make small balls of the mixture and enjoy each thoroughly.




3 comments:

Vidhya said...

thuvayal looks good:) Never tried thuvayal with garlic..

SS blogs here said...

Ooh garlic.. that's ever popular around here! Your thuvayal sounds so good, now I will have to figure out some easy way to get peeled fresh garlic!

Priya Suresh said...

Yumm, very delicious thuvayal..