Google
 

December 18, 2007

Avial



Here's one more of those dishes I've developed a taste for over the years. In other words, I hated this stuff initially. Now, I look forward to the rare occasions when I get to eat this stuff.




Part of many traditional feasts, I simply love eating this during the Padinettam Perukku and Pongal festivals when Kalanda Saadam (Mixed Rice - Puliyodarai, Coconut Rice, Lemon Rice etc) is part of the menu. My favourite way to eat avial is with Coconut Rice. (Yeah, I am a Mangalorean all right! I can manage overdoses of coconut.) Usually, however, we eat this with rice a yelai paruppu (plain dal).




I made this for the first time last week and was thrilled with the results.






2 cups Mixed Boiled Vegetables (I used Carrot, Beans, Ash Gourd, Raw Banana, Peas, Potatoes)
1/4 cup Coconut, scraped
1 cup Curd, beaten
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
3 Green Chillies, slit
1 tsp Oil
Salt to taste

For the seasoning:
1 tsp Coconut Oil
7-8 Curry Leaves


Heat the oil in a small frying pan and add the cumin seeds along with the green chillies. When the cumin seeds crackle, turn off the flame and add the coconut. Grind this mixture to a paste.

Take the beaten curd in a vessel and add the mixed vegetables along with the paste. Add the salt and bring to a boil while stirring constantly.

Heat the coconut oil in a frying ladle and add the curry leaves. Add this to the avial.

The way we relished it was with some rice and yelai paruppu (plain dal). I also made some rasam and some raw banana curry. With curd and papad, it was a complete meal.

11 comments:

EC said...

colour of avial is great...i normally add turmeric to it

Padmaja said...

Raaga
I am at home today, Noel is not well so I have taken off from work. Avial look smashing!!! even i too add turmeric but without it you can see the real colour

amna said...

one of the first recipes i posted on my blog. my recipe is slightly different, not too much though. check it out here : http://cookingandme.blogspot.com/2007/04/aviyal.html

Raks said...

Looks colourful! I forgot this for log time..thanks for remembering:)

Red Chillies said...

Looke so colorful and awesome

Anita said...

You didn't like it at first?! What is there to notlike! Obviously, you were not a Southie in previous life! :D

lakshmi said...

same pinch for the initial dislike for avial - now i relish it :D

Aarti said...

Hey Aru,

I love Avial, but for me it should look good..[more than tasting yummy..hehehe]

I make it a wee bit different..
i dont saute the stuff[cumin etc] before grinding with coconut,i also add curd to this ground paste and then to the vegetables that have been cooking in the pan/cooker :)

Awesome going.... back to pink of health now?? take care di...

Cynthia said...

Lovely. Veggies in tasty coconut milk. Yum!

Raaga said...

I am glad all of you liked this stuff.

Padmaja: Hope Noel gets better soon.

Pavithra Kodical said...

Hi..Thanks for dropping by to my blog..Your version is simple..Will surely try :)