Google
 

November 25, 2007

Miracle Bars



What does one do with corn flakes? Have it straight from the pack as a light snack? Sprinkle sugar and cut fruit over it and eat it for breakfast with some milk? Sprinkle it over ice-cream to make ice-cream healthy? OK, what else?



I sometimes add a banana smoothie to a bowl of cornflakes to make my breakfast a single bowl affair. Did you need any more proof for my laziness? I thought of several things to do with my bag of corn flakes. I didn't want to miss this event. After all, Weekend Breakfast Blogging is an event that celebrates my most important meal. But I couldn't think of doing anything fancy with cornflakes. I could put it in a cake, but then cakes aren't meant to be breakfast. I could put them in muffins, but that would mean that any breakfast or fruit related event in the blogosphere has me thinking of just one item. Although, let me admit that I am not exactly the most creative of folks around this place.



I bought a book last year titled "Chocolate & Baking". I didn't realise it at the time, but this book has all measures in grams and ounces. I am used to books that have measures in cups and spoons. So, for a long time, I just kept looking at the book. Earlier this year, I got myself a kitchen scale. So, I think I can start using this book more often now. This afternoon, I found a recipe for Miracle Bars that I modified. The original calls for coconut and I decided to use cornflakes instead. I have no idea why they're called Miracle Bars. Maybe the mystery will be resolved upon eating them.


100g butter, melted
125g Digestive Biscuits, crushed
175g Chocolate chips
75g Corn Flakes
125g Mixed Dry fruits and Nuts
400g can Sweetened Condensed Milk
A little butter for greasing the tin



Heat oven to 350F.


Grease a 9-inch square tin with butter and line it with butter paper. Pour in the melted butter and sprinkle the crushed biscuits over this. Add the chocolate chips, cornflakes and dry fruits and nuts over this mixture. Pour the condensed milk over this.






Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool and cut into squares. I guess these would taste like granola bars. I hope they turn out to be chewy bars as I just discovered S doesn't particularly enjoy the crunchy granola variety. I don't have enough time today to allow the bars to cool and cut them. They just got done and I've taken pictures without cutting.
I hope they are the tasty bars I want them to be. This is my last post for the day and I have to get ready for the wedding this evening. And if I don't post this now, I may be very late for the WBB and Nags will never speak to me. I send this to Nags for the "Weekend Breakfast Blogging #17", the theme of which is Corn Flakes. Happy hosting Nags.

20 comments:

Viji said...

A nice entry Raaga. Viji

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Interesting recipe, Raaga. Maybe the miracle is in the variety of the ingredients. Else it is in the energy from eating on of these:)

Siri said...

A very different and yummy way of having boring everyday CORNFLAKES!

~ Siri

Finla said...

Hey u have been busy, i see al these new post ;-)
Love the cookies.
I am still looking for somthing to send foe Nags, i thgt i had a recipe but i lost them.

Nikita said...

We use the thinner cornflakes sprinkled over poha instead of sprinkling sev. We got this idea from a neighborhood restaurant who served us chaat with cornflakes over it.

amna said...

this is lovely raaga :D thank you for being such a darling and cooking up something with cornflakes :)

SMN said...

Luks very crunchy and healthy very innovative.

Anonymous said...

You are one prolific writer and dedicated blogger! Writing and baking before you go to the wedding - wow! [bows]

sunita said...

That's a very nice recipe Raaga...thanks.

Rajitha said...

oooh! it looks really good raaga..and have fun at all the weddings :)

Roopa said...

the bars look so delicious and chewy loved to have a bite :)

Divya and Chaya said...

Looks like a granola bar recipe- must have tasted simply DIVINE!

Padmaja said...

Hey Raaga!! You are in cooking spree now, saw couple of posts and hey that looks so delicious!!

Latha Narasimhan said...

Miracle bars are wonderful! :) I made your mava cake just before I visited chennai! It was simply superb! I took a few pieces for lax too! I think I will be preparing it very often! I'll blog about it soon! Thanks for such a wonderful recipe!

Raks said...

4 posts in a single day?!! Great ...thought you 'll be busy in attending marriages..;o

Raaga said...

Thanks all... it did come out great... the bars were very chewy and slightly sinful too.

Kribha said...

Very nice recipe. Bet it would have tasted delicious too. Have a great time at the wedding.

Cynthia said...

This is so chock full of stuff that I am sure that you can skip lunch after having this as breakfast.

Latha Narasimhan said...

You are tagged for a meme dear! checkout! :)

Sagari said...

nice recipe raaga